Notifications
Clear all

Power Supplies and Servos wrt a Robotic Arm run through an Arduino Mega 2560

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@blair)
Topic starter  

Hey, All---I'm new to microelectronics and have done the usual initial Arduino  projects: running an SG90 MicroServo with a potentiomer, issued warnings on voltages through LEDs and the Serial Monitor, written the sketches to run RFIDs and PIR Motion Sensors, and etc. 

I'm currently building my first robotic arm. I'm puzzled by the typical advice I've read, to use a dedicated 5v power supply, even though Servos are often described as needing 6v, or a range of 6v-8.4v where 8.4v is often preferred. If it's useful info I'm thinking of using a 60kg Servo for my arm's rotating base, another 60kg Servo for the joint on top of the base that will support the entire arm, then 20kg Servos thereafter. 

The former is an ANNIMOS 60KG Digital Servo described as 8.4V High Voltage Stainless Steel Gear Large Torque High Speed (270 deg). It's writeup goes on to say "Support High Voltage - the best volts is 7.4V, It’s recommended to use 2S battery for power supply 6-8.4."

I've been weeding through the internet but can't find what I need to know:

-- What's the highest voltage I can use with an Arduino Mega2560? (Some say a 9v 4a power supply is fine, but bench power supplies seem to jump from 5v to 10v with no 9v options or any options in between.)

--Is a 5v power supply sufficient to run 20kg and 60kg Servos?.

--If it's not sufficient, what should i use?

--What's a reliable brand or brands for items such as bench power supplies?

--I've also noticed that most 5v and 10v power supplies don't seem to include a cord connecting the power supply to a wall outlet. Is it expected that I'll do that myself with, say, a power cord I recycle from an old lamp?

Thanks in advance for any assistance, and a Merry Christmas and Splendid Holiday to All. Blair.

This topic was modified 4 years ago 3 times by Blair

(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

Posted by: @blair

-- What's the highest voltage I can use with an Arduino Mega2560? (Some say a 9v 4a power supply is fine, but bench power supplies seem to jump from 5v to 10v with no 9v options or any options in between.)

The Arduino Mega uses a linear 5-volt regulator, so you should try and keep the voltage between 7.5 and 20 volts. The higher the voltage the more heat the regulator will need to dissipate. 9 or 12-volts is ideal for most applications. You could also use a USB power supply and connect it to the USB port.

--Is a 5v power supply sufficient to run 20kg and 60kg Servos?.

I'm assuming that you are NOT using the Arduino 5-volt output for the servo's, as it's not a good idea. The answer really depends upon the specs of the servo motor you are using, most common ones are rated at 6-volts and will work well at 5-volts. Consult your servo motor specs to be sure and select a supply with enough current.

--I've also noticed that most 5v and 10v power supplies don't seem to include a cord connecting the power supply to a wall outlet. Is it expected that I'll do that myself with, say, a power cord I recycle from an old lamp?

Are you speaking of those switching power supplies commonly used for LED strips?  You might want to give us a link so we can answer for sure. Be extremely careful if you are wiring anything to your line (mains) voltage!

Happy Holidays to you as well!

?

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote