My RCWL-0516 breadboard experiment

20 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@donpk I just tried a second board and it WORKS. I paced it out at 6 yards/meters but beyond that it may have been blocked. One thing I would recommend is to wire up a board from scratch for each unit tested to ensure a common wiring mistake is not destroying each board you stick into the same circuit. Also, there is a delay after the LED goes out of a few seconds before it will sense again. When I tried it I allowed a count of 4 before moving again.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Don
 Don
(@donpk)

@zander I've also been doing some more experimenting. My first version - the one with poor results - was on a solderless breadboard. Since in the past I've had intermittent connection issues with solderless breadboards, I built a second version using solder and wire on a small perfboard. I also powered it with a 9 volt battery instead of my Arduino board. With the battery version I was able to move around the house.

My first trial with V.2 was in the same location as the first setup on my workbench near the Arduino.  I had similar poor results, however, as soon as I moved to other rooms, the performance was excellent ranging from ca. 1 meter to 5 or more meters. I should add that the location with the poor results is less than a meter from my internet gateway/WiFi unit. In his video, Bill speculated that WiFi interference might cause a problem with the RCWL-0516, although he hadn't noticed any problems.

I want to do some more experimenting, perhaps go back to the breadboard version to eliminate the bad connection theory and also try turning off the WiFi to see if that changes anything when the sensor is near it.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@donpk Good news. I forgot about the WiFi issue, I will try turning mine off and test board  one again. Do you notice a delay after sensing? What I mean is it senses you, you then move out of range and you then have to wait after 3 or 4 secs before it will sense you again?

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@donpk I turned off all my WiFi etc, and it made no difference to either board. It is looking very much like some of these boards are DOA. I have 10 but only need 6 can use 8 though so I am crossing my fingers.

ReplyQuote
Don
 Don
(@donpk)

@zander Yes, I notice that delay. Interesting about the WiFi. There seem to still be some things going on I don't understand, which isn't surprising.

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2