[Solved] Text flickering on ILI9341 TFT Displays

7 Posts
4 Users
4 Likes
Zoltar358
(@zoltar358)
Topic starter  

Hello,

I am struggling with text flickering on my TFT display. Especially when I try to display sensor data in the loop.

Perhaps you know a good way to avoid flickering. Please make a video about that.

codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@zoltar358

Not sure that this issue is worthy of a video to explain.  So perhaps these two posts should be moved to a more appropriate thread.

While I have not used the exact display you mention, the displays I have used can have a "flicker" issue if you are writing to them more often than needed.  This is a programming issue that I have used a variable to determine if the data to be displayed has changed since the last time I wrote information to the display and if the data hasn't changed then no write occurs.  Only write when needed.  This has worked fairly well fo the displays I have used, but don't know if it will for sure solve your issue.

As you can now see these two posts have been move to a more appropriate thread.  Please do not take the fact that it got moved as you have done something wrong on the forum!  I myself still struggle from time to time in trying to decide the best place to post a comment.

And this could still not be the "best" place for this topic.  But "Components and Programming -- I/O Devices - Sensors - Modules" seemed like a good fit.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)

Do TFT displays have a specified "refresh rate"? I.e. how long it takes for it to update the display and the time until it's ready to be updated again?

ReplyQuote
Zoltar358
(@zoltar358)
Topic starter  

@yurkshirelad

I couldn't find any info about refresh rates, but I suspect they must have some response time.

YurkshireLad reacted
ReplyQuote
Zoltar358
(@zoltar358)
Topic starter  

wwjd777 and YurkshireLad reacted
ReplyQuote
wwjd777
(@wwjd777)

@zoltar358 Wow, thank you for sharing your sketch!  I became a member of this forum to thank you for that.  I had much trouble getting the TFT_ESPI library running on platformio but it's working now. 🙂

You use the Sprite option which seems great!  I hope to adapt it for my use and your sketch is a great help as an example how to implement it.

ReplyQuote
Zoltar358
(@zoltar358)
Topic starter  

@wwjd777 I'm glad to be helpful. Honestly, I did not expect that kind of response. Well, I did not expect any response... It was a nice surprise 🙂

Have fun with coding. Cheers!

wwjd777 reacted
ReplyQuote