Spyder
(@spyder)

Posted by: @duce-robot

for modeling and slicing and sending to RPI to print 

Ah, ok

No. The pi is connected via USB to the printer

The pi is on your local network

Your computer that models and slices is on the local network

Octo-Print has a built in web server with all the controls you would ever need printed on the web page that it hosts on its local built in web server, on the pi, connected to the printer, accessible from anywhere in your house. So you can model, and slice, and turn on the printer, and send the print job to the printer, and start the print, all without your butt leaving the chair

ReplyQuote
Duce robot
(@duce-robot)
Topic starter  

@spyder

I still don't understand how do I model and slice ?on my laptop if so how do I send it to the RPI?

ReplyQuote
Duce robot
(@duce-robot)
Topic starter  

@spyder

Will the mega2560 pull the pi up to 5 volts and ruin it ?

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)

I still don't understand how do I model and slice ?on my laptop if so how do I send it to the RPI?

Duce robot reacted
ReplyQuote
Duce robot
(@duce-robot)
Topic starter  

@spyder

OK cool thanks that explains a lot ! I'm sure it will take some practice but now that I know this part of it I can move forward waiting on pi 3  to arrive existing pi 3 in too much of a rabbit hole to reach ....its un retrievable this thing is like a miniature electronic city around it which is frustrating.      Because I want to print something! Soon 

ReplyQuote
Duce robot
(@duce-robot)
Topic starter  

@spyder

I'll still have to watch this thing fifty times to get it through this brick head

ReplyQuote
Duce robot
(@duce-robot)
Topic starter  

I'm melting melting ................melting . its gonna take a minute to figure out slicer ? but at leat I'm on the right track again ! Consider when I started this project in 2016 I knew nothing of computers one of my best friends was a computer genius though so it was a very fast start then tragedy struck ! My friend suddenly passed away at a pointe when this thing was chugging full steam .ludicrous speed to stop and we all seen what happened to lord helmet so thanks to you guys here I'm back at impulse power! And I'm happy with that ??? and this is kind of a tribute project now

ReplyQuote
Duce robot
(@duce-robot)
Topic starter  

OK it says the printer is connecting but that's it it doesn't say its connected.

ReplyQuote
(@zeferby)

@duce-robot

Ok that "Connecting" should turn into "Connected" at some point, so I guess you could click Disconnect and re-click Connect to check if that solves the problem.  If it still doesn't then there is something to check with USB port detection.  The logs from OctoPrint will help in that case : 

octo logs

Otherwise, to generalize from @spyder's excellent video :

1. Modeling software, installed locally on your laptop (e.g. I use FreeCAD) or used on the web (like TinkerCad or OnShape) => 3D Model that the CAD software has to export in STL format.

2. Feed the STL into a slicer software (Cura, Slic3r, IdeaMaker, etc..) and slice to produce a GCode file that can be sent to the printer (either on an SD card, or through OctoPrint running on a Pi)

Eric

ReplyQuote
Duce robot
(@duce-robot)
Topic starter  

I'm using print run but it isn't throwing up any errors but it just Say's connecting 

ReplyQuote
(@zeferby)

Here is a small video showing what happens when i turn on the printer with OctoPi/OctoPrint on a Pi3 :

And this is the USB serial port detection in linux near the end of /var/log/messages after booting :

boot usb serial

My Ender 5 has a CH34x chip controlling the mini-USB port as can be seen above.

Eric

ReplyQuote
Duce robot
(@duce-robot)
Topic starter  

I think octoprint is not going to work for this project at all its only function is so you can print from somewhere else ? No way I'm not leaving a 3d printer unattended in my house for that matter on a robot don't have a use for a camera I'll be standing by the whole time duce already has a computer and its own broad band print run blender slic3r are enough .octoprint in this system is just a klunky middle man but good for other things I'm sure .

ReplyQuote
Pakabol
(@pakabol)

No way I'm not leaving a 3d printer unattended in my house

i just get my prints going and come back about an hour after it finishes (being cold it comes off the plate easy) ive had mine going for about 72 hours straight now. as im still yet to print anything for my self  time is money. money im going to using to buy another printer.

Duce robot reacted
ReplyQuote
Pakabol
(@pakabol)

after this order im going to print a stand for my camera amd a new cooling nozzle i think and because its October im going to make them orange (woooo ooo hooo)

ReplyQuote
Duce robot
(@duce-robot)
Topic starter  

@pakabol

If I ever do get to print anything I'm going to keep it small though it would be nice to print on a more professional level it will still be small 100 mm tall at most I'm still using octoprint I just have to pile it on somewhere its just a fifth computer that's all and a separate light and sound system for just the 3d printer its just going to take more time and luck .?⌚?

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5