Notifications
Clear all

Fusion 360 and the Raspberry Pi 4? Or Jeston Nano?

25 Posts
7 Users
1 Likes
17.4 K Views
(@twobits)

I look forward to see more about your projects.

This week all I seem to have to show is a bunch of  little hollow cubes with chunks missing. In theory, the missing chunks should line up with the connectors on a raspberry pi....

I decided that it was time for me to put on my big boy britches and learn fusion 360 instead of my preferred tinkercad.

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer
Topic starter  

One thing about Fusion 360 is that it's extremely unlikely that you'll ever run into any limitations.   Not only does it make drawing in 3D extremely simple, but it also allows individual components to animated, so after  you draw the thing up you can actually move the parts.

In other words, say you drew up a Me Arm.  After you drew it up you could then extend the arm in any direction via it's moving parts.    So it's far more than just a CAD program.  It will basically allow you to animate the 3D object after you've drawn it.

I'm very busy with my tractor repair and other things right now.  But when I find the time I'm going to try running Fusion 360 in a  browser.  This allows Fusion 360 to actually run on a mainframe computer somewhere and all my computer needs to do is update the browser screen.   If that works I might be able to make some screen capture instruction videos.   That would be great.  Unfortunately I don't have time to try that today.

DroneBot Workshop Robotics Engineer
James

ReplyQuote
(@twobits)

What kind of tractors do you repair? A couple of years ago I rebuilt a 1948 Farmall Cub. I had always wanted to play with a real tractor. A Cub was all I could fit in my garage at the time. 

The guy I sold it to still uses it a couple of times a week for light jobs around his land.

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer
Topic starter  

I'm working on my Case SC right now.   I don't have a photo of it but here's a picture from the internet of one that's in about the same shape as mine:

I also have a Ferguson TO-20 like this one:  Again, not a photo of my tractor, just one like it in about the same condition.

+-

I'd love to paint my tractors up and make them look like new but I can never find the time to do it.  But I do keep them up mechanically the best I can and I use them almost daily around here.

James

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer
Topic starter  

I just mowed the lawn today with the Ferguson so here's a photo of it hot off the press,..

Tractor (1)

I started painting it last year.  But all I managed to get to was the hood so far.

James

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

@twobits - I recently got a 3D printer mainly to produce electrical boxes and I needed find a design package.  As fusion 360 was free for personal use I decided to give it a go and found lots of tutorials on the web.  The one that helped me to get started to most was the following adafruit youtube video that was making a typical small box

It was a real help in getting me into Fusion 360, and I'm still very much a noob, but a month later I have been designing my own rpi and ardunio enclosures and also control panels with holes for switches, leds, and fuseholders to poke out all over the place.    Big thing to remember is whatever one designs it has actually got to be right for 3d printing and I've got carried away with a few times :-).

twobits reacted
ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer
Topic starter  
Posted by: byron

Big thing to remember is whatever one designs it has actually got to be right for 3d printing and I've got carried away with a few times :-).

Well, that's only true if 3d printing is your intended goal.   I don't have a 3d printer and I'll most likely be using other manufacturing methods for most things I design.   I have a full wood shop, and metal shop including a nice little lathe/mill.   

But yeah, if you are designing for 3d printing you definitely need to take that into consideration.

James

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer
Topic starter  

I just now finished repairing my Case Tractor.   I had to remove, repair, and replace the front crank pulley.  The job required brazing and lathe work.   It turned out really nice.   I just finished putting it all back together a few minutes ago.   It's feels good to have it back in service.  It's been sitting in the garage since last fall.

Case (2)
Case (1)

James

ReplyQuote
(@twobits)

@byron

Thanks for the link. It was very helpful. Not nearly as overwhelming as some of the other resources I was using. 

ReplyQuote
(@ruedi)

I am a bit surprised why everybody likes laptops so much. If you need the best value for money, a desktop PC type computer is the better choice, I believe. And if you do not like Windows 10, installing Windows 10 on top of a VM, which again is on top of Linux, gets you exactly to the same point again: You have all the "bloatware", but now your hardware also has to cope with the additional load of the underlying Linux and VM.

You could try to run Windows software on Linux using a Windows emulator, instead of really having Windows installed. Here is an instruction and review by Christopher Barnatt:

I have not tried it myself, but I understand from the video that you need to be lucky to get a Windows software running on an emulator without any compatibility problems.

My personal choice is a desktop computer which has both Linux and Windows 10 installed on separate partitions of an NVME solid state drive, and they both access a common hard drive which contains my data. Not a cheap solution, I admit, but I am happy with it and I got it all working.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2