Notifications
Clear all

Fusion 360 and the Raspberry Pi 4? Or Jeston Nano?

25 Posts
7 Users
1 Likes
17.3 K Views
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer
Topic starter  

I currently have 4 notebook computers.   All of them are pretty slow.  Especially running Windows 10 Bloatware.   I do have Linux on one of them and I really like Linux.  But I have a bit of a problem.

I'm trying to use Fusion 360 on one of my notebooks and while it does run, it's quite limited in how large of a drawing I can make before it starts to bog down.   I've also discovered that if I try to run a screen capture utility to capture what I'm doing in Fusion 360 for a possible video, it really slows down and sometimes even crashes.

I don't have the cash to buy a new full-blown computer just to be able to run Fusion 360.   But I'm wondering if I could run it on a Raspberry Pi 4?   The little SBC seems to have better stats than my notebook computers.

Bill says

The 1.5GHz quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A72 CPU is supposed to be 3 times faster than the Pi 3.

I wonder if that would be enough to run Fusion 360 and a screen capture program?

The only problem is that Fusion 360 only runs on Windows, but it can run on Linux if it is run on a Window VM.   But that would even require more processing power.

I also wonder if the Jetson Nano could handle Fusion 360?

I wouldn't mind buying a new computer for maybe $100 to $200 just to run Fusion 360.   But I don't have a grand to spend to buy a super-fast notebook or desk top computer.

I actually was thinking of buying a new motherboard for one of the old desktop computers I have laying around.   But when I looked into doing that the $$$ started adding up pretty quick.  New motherboard, memory, graphics card, etc.  Probably a  new power supply to boot.   Not sure if I would save much trying to build up a hot-rod desktop computer.  Then if I had to purchase Windows 10 to install on it that would even be more.   I'd probably want to try Linux with a Windows VM instead.

Anyway, anyone running Fusion 360?   Do you think the RPi 4 or Jeston Nano could handle it?

I'm about ready to give up on Fusion 360 just because I don't have a machine that can run it.  But wow!  I sure do love Fusion 360 ?   It's a really beautiful CAD program.  It's a bummer not having a machine that will run it.   Although I am using it on one of my notebooks.  But it's just barely running it, and I can't record instructional videos using screen capture with it which is something I would really like to do.

DroneBot Workshop Robotics Engineer
James

jscottbee
(@jscottbee)

If it were me, I would get a used computer off eBay. You can get a decent laptop with an i5 or i7 in the 175-250 range. You could probably get a desktop that has better specs for near the same cost. I buy most of my laptops from eBay, mostly from off lease sellers. They are typically business computers is really good condition.

I'm a Linux person and always have been.  I even have an old tattoo to prove it 😉

Scott

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer
Topic starter  
Posted by: jscottbee

I'm a Linux person and always have been.  I even have an old tattoo to prove it 😉

I prefer Linux too, but unfortunately a lot of software I really like won't run on Linux.  Fusion 360 obviously being one of them.  SharpDevelop being another one.   I tried to install SharpDevelop on Linux using Wine, but it was hopeless.

As far as buying a computer from eBay, I might try that.   I actually did buy one of my current laptops from Amazon as a "refurbished" computer.    But was pretty cheap, and it serves me well.  Fusion 360 has been the first application that has given me any trouble on any of my laptops.   I typically don't run graphic intensive programs since I'm not into gaming.   Most everything I do these old junkers can handle. ? 

I think even these notebooks would run Fusion 360 fairly well if there was a Linux version of Fusion 360.  I think it's the Windows 10 Bloatware that slows everything down.  I was even thinking of going through the process of removing all the bloatware.   But it's my understanding that Windows just puts it all back on again at the next time they do an upgrade.  

One thing I can say about Windows is that it has never crashed on me yet.  Knock on wood.   Well, actually it did mess up pretty screwy a few times, but to my utter shock and amazement it actually fixed itself.   So I really can't complain.

These laptops I have are old.  They are single-core processors and aren't even maxed-out in terms of memory.   I was thinking of doubling the memory in the one with Fusion 360 on it.  I think it has 8GB and can be doubled to 16GB?  The only problem is that costs close to $100 just for the memory sticks.  I'd buy them in an instant if I thought they'd solve the problem.  I'm just not convinced that doubling the memory would do it.  They are still just single-core slow computers.   They were cheap computers when they were new.  I think they were only like $200 new.   Of course, that was maybe 10 years ago?

I'm rebellious when it comes to upgrading. ? 

James

ReplyQuote
jscottbee
(@jscottbee)

Posted by: Robo Pi

These laptops I have are old.  They are single-core processors and aren't even maxed-out in terms of memory.   I was thinking of doubling the memory in the one with Fusion 360 on it.  I think it has 8GB and can be doubled to 16GB?  The only problem is that costs close to $100 just for the memory sticks.  I'd buy them in an instant if I thought they'd solve the problem.  I'm just not convinced that doubling the memory would do it.  They are still just single-core slow computers.   They were cheap computers when they were new.  I think they were only like $200 new.   Of course, that was maybe 10 years ago?

It sounds like 360 is CPU bottled necked and not memory. What I did last computer wise, was buy a workstation class machine. I have an HP Z420 Workstation. You can find them stacked pretty well on eBay and Newegg. These are Xeon based computers and can support 6-8 cores and A LOT of MEMORY 🙂

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer
Topic starter  

I was using Google Sketchup prior to trying Fusion 360.    Actually up to that point Google Sketchup was doing everything I needed.  I really don't need the advanced features of Fusion, but having seen them it's really tempting to try to keep them.  I also found learning Fusion to be a snap because I used to use AutoCad years ago and Fusion is basically AutoCad on steroids.   In fact, it even still has a lot of features that AutoCad had like the 4 viewports which I used to use all the time.

Realistically I can probably do everything I need to do in Google Sketchup.  I gave Fusion 360 a shot after joining a machinist forum and everyone was recommending it.  When I told them I use Google Sketchup they threw rotten tomatoes at me. ? 

But to be honest, Sketchup isn't bad at all.   And it runs just fine on my notebooks.   So I'm not sure whether Fusion is worth getting a new computer for (even a used one).   I started this thread because I was thinking that if it would run on a RPi 4 that might be a $75 option I could live with. 

I just thought of this when I read the stats Bill posted on the RPi 4.   That little SBC appears to have more processing power than the Notebooks I'm currently using.  For $75 that ain't bad.

James

ReplyQuote
jscottbee
(@jscottbee)

The only issue is it will be all software for x86 emulation if you wanted to run any Windows apps. Go with your gut and pocket.  

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer
Topic starter  
Posted by: jscottbee

Go with your gut and pocket.  

That will most likely mean going back to Google Sketchup. ? 

James

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

There is an option to view and edit Fusion 360 in a browser.  I've not tried it as I use Fusion on my mac and I get the message that safari is not a supported browser and I should use chrome.   So a long as you have a good internet connection this should work with any reasonably powered computer.   The new RPi4 has a very zippy chrome browser by all accounts so this may be a good choice.   But this is just a suggested route as I've not used this option at all.

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer
Topic starter  

@byron

Thanks for the tip about running it in a browser.  I do remember reading about that feature somewhere but never thought to try it.  Maybe that will work for me.    I might even be able to do screen capture that way at the same time.

I'll definitely look into that. Thanks.  It would be great if I could keep using Fusion 360.  It does have some pretty nice features.

James

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

You could also look at FreeCAD, it's not Fusion 360 but it is pretty powerful and is available for Linux, Windows, and Mac.

On the subject of the computer upgrade, however, I think you should just bite the bullet and upgrade to a decent notebook or desktop. Get a Windows machine with a reasonable amount of power, a minimum of 8GB RAM and a good-sized hard drive, preferably an SSD.  Then resize the partition and free up a few hundred GB - use that to install Linux with a GRUB (or BURG) boot manager. You'll have a powerful computer that runs both Windows and Linux.

I know it's a cash outlay but in the long run, having a reliable machine that can be upgraded when new software and operating systems are released will make it worth it.

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice

An alternative is to keep the Mac and install VirtualBox and Linux.

Bill, suggesting to a Mac user to buy a Windows machine is tantamount to heresy. ? 

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

I own over a dozen computers with all three operating systems, each has its benefits and disadvantages.   I don't consider one to be superior to any of the others

Personally, I love Linux, tolerate Windows and loath Mac OSX, but there are times when I have to use it - such as when I make videos (Final Cut Pro) or explainer animations (Keynote). And let's remember that a lot of software will only run on Windows. For everyday tasks (like responding to this post) I use Linux. So you really need all three.

For the record, Windows has the very best file manager and networks like a dream. OSX has that godawful "Finder" and can't network to save its life.  

Operating systems are tools, you use the correct one for the job.  I think that Robertson screws are a lot better than Phillips or Slotted ones, but I own and use all three types of screwdrivers!

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer
Topic starter  
Posted by: DroneBot Workshop

Personally, I love Linux, tolerate Windows and loath Mac OSX, but there are times when I have to use it - such as when I make videos (Final Cut Pro) or explainer animations (Keynote). And let's remember that a lot of software will only run on Windows.

So that's the secret to making videos?

I actually opened up a YouTube channel called Robo Pi.   I haven't posted any videos to it yet and one reason is again my slow Windows Notebook computers.   Trying to edit and process videos is a nightmare.  You have to wait for every little thing. 

I just couldn't imagine  putting out two videos a week like you do.   I'd be lucky to be able to put out one a week.  And even that would be a pain.  I guess I really need to bite the bullet and buy a real computer someday.   Then I could start a YouTube channel just like the DroneBot Workshop.   Well, not exactly the same, but my channel too would be about building a robot.

In fact, my channel would basically just be a blog of my build of Alysha.   Although I would like to explain every detail from the ground up like Bill does with graphics, schematics and programming code.  I just wouldn't bother with the general electronic videos that he does on Saturday.   I'd just document and explain my robot build and make no apologies or pretense that I ever intended to do anything other than that. ? 

That would be the content of my channel.  Basically a robot build blog.   That's what it would be.

James

ReplyQuote
(@twobits)

@robo-pi

Instead of creating a whole new video channel. I bet Bill would welcome 'Build Threads' under 'Other Robot Projects.'

Something where people create a thread which they update every week or so with the progress they are making on their current project. These types of threads can be really interesting to read if the builder includes a bit about why they made the design decision they did and then a bit more on how they implemented them.... With lots of pictures. 

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer
Topic starter  

@twobits

I plan on doing that as well.    I personally actually find writing articles with picture more work than making a video.  Making the video is the easy part.  Editing it is what takes so much time.   For every hour of video I'd  probably have 10 hours of edited.   Especially if I hope to insert graphic displays intertwined with live video like Bill does.

I know what it takes to produce a good video.  This is why Bill just blows my mind.   His videos are awesome.   We recognize his electronic engineering skills, but behind the scenes he's also a video producing guru.

James

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2