Want to attach pass...

Notifications
Clear all

Want to attach passive infrared motion sensor (HC SR501, 5V) to my Sonoff Basic (3.3V)

20 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

@byron

These look awesome, thanks for pointing them out to me!

So many things that I want to buy now, and so many more on the horizon. I suspect 2021 is going to be a very expensive year.

😎

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
jBo
 jBo
(@jbo)
Topic starter  

@zoolandermicro - Ha! And here I was, thinking in such limited terms as turning on a light for 10 minutes!

In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they're different.

ReplyQuote
jBo
 jBo
(@jbo)
Topic starter  

@dronebot-workshop - Interesting. I'll check it out. A little more than HC SR501, but in the scheme of things, not so important, especially if we're talking about one per room or "checkpoint," you know, for fridge security 🙄 

ReplyQuote
jBo
 jBo
(@jbo)
Topic starter  

@byron - Thanks, that's a good point. There are almost always choices. I had seen that video on the Shellys; it's a quite interesting form factor. Until now I've just concentrated on the Sonoff Basic since I found it very easy to understand. That is, get a normal, commodity-type extension cord, cut it in half, then wire the pieces to each end of the little Sonoff. Plus, it's completely obvious that no part of it is touching mains power. So my experience so far is just in these "smart extension cords." I would like to experiment with some Shelly products, to make smart wall switches. Of course, I would have to visit the circuit breaker and remind myself which breaker turns off which part of the house 🙄 

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

@jbo

I have a few Sonoff relays, but I like the way that the Shelly purports to work with mqtt so I got a couple for some of my home automation projects.  I've had the Shellys for 2 or 3 months now, but I have not yet got round to testing them out, though I did 3d print an enclosure a week back in preparation.

I also came across Quinetic wireless switches where the switch component signals the relay on or off by producing a signal generated by the simple press (click on - click off) on the switch that does not need any battery or other electrical source.  The range of the generated signal seems quite long.  The relay needs to be wired in of course but its another possible consideration when looking at the light switch arrangements. (its not microprocessor controlled though 😎 )

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2