Clear all

I built my own 555!

10 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
VE1DX
(@ve1dx)
Topic starter  

OK, not really.  But I've been eyeing this kit for 6 months or more.  Finally got it.  And, after a bit of soldering, I had a gigantic 555 timer.  Works well . . . at least it flashes LEDs properly.

IMG 4688

- Paul VE1DX

robotBuilder
(@robotbuilder)

And do you understand how the 555 module works at the level of the transistors and resisters? This circuit is itself made from smaller modules understandable in themselves all the way down to the transistor and resister. Useful circuits, like useful software functions, can be used as single modular units to build more  complex modules without understanding their internal workings only needing to know how to use them.

ReplyQuote
VE1DX
(@ve1dx)
Topic starter  

More or less.  I didn't analyze what every component does, but I have a general idea.  The point of getting this kit was because it was a novelty.  I've been using 555s since the 1970s. 

I couldn't agree more about your software comparison.  I was lucky enough to spend 8-10 years in a Pascal-only shop, and while that language has pretty much disappeared, it certainly cements the idea of modular, structured programming in a person's mind.

Paul VE1DX

strongheart reacted
ReplyQuote
VE1DX
(@ve1dx)
Topic starter  
IMG 4885

They all do the same thing. The SMD/SMT version was a challenge in soldering with an iron, but it works well.  They "crammed" all the stuff shown in the big one into the little one circa 1971.  Imagine the billions of components on a 2020 era CPU.

Paul VE1DX

ReplyQuote
WolfgangW
(@wolfgangw)

@ve1dx

I just read what you did - lol Everybody tries to make things smaller but you go the other way.

But hey, I admire what you did, honestly. Noone of us can make a micro circuit without the matching machine. You make the big guy to understand what is it doing and that is admirable. 
If you want to know if you really understand anything you do, you have to explain to other people or as you did, make it by yourself with your own hands.

👍, I like that idea

Wolfgang

If I am not here, then I am most probably somewhere else

strongheart reacted
ReplyQuote
VE1DX
(@ve1dx)
Topic starter  

@wolfgangw I can't take the credit. They are kits. The only challenge was the soldering of the SMDs with an iron.  There are better ways to solder SMD devices, but I don't have the materials.  I wish I had the talent to make the circuit boards, etc.  Oh well.  It looks good and it's a good example of what's inside an integragted circuit.

Paul VE1DX

ReplyQuote
WolfgangW
(@wolfgangw)

Ah I see, I sure overread this. Anyway, you build it like this is a huge job. Do not underestimate.
I just piked a soldering iron after 3o years into my hand. Don't ask how my soldering looks like.

It's getting better but I still fighting.

go on and have a nice weekend

Wolfgang

ReplyQuote
strongheart
(@strongheart)

About 30 years ago I had a little book with about 2 dozen very simple 555 timing projects.
It seemed as though there was nothing you couldn't do with them and nothing you could do without them.  

Taking yourself seriously is no laughing matter.
Taking someone else, seriously, it's a federal offense.

ReplyQuote
WolfgangW
(@wolfgangw)

@strongheart

Hey,

so far as I still see myself as Newbie in this, so everything is fascinating. But you right. In our public library I have found a similar book, also talking about the 555. I think every time in this young history of electronics has a special thing where one can say

Posted by: @strongheart

It seemed as though there was nothing you couldn't do with them and nothing you could do without them.  

For me as a beginner it is even fascinating, when someone like Ve1dx made this even as a fun-project. 
Build up something and try to understand what is it doing. Sometimes the result is not so much important, it is the way that leads us there.

Wolfgang

strongheart reacted
ReplyQuote
strongheart
(@strongheart)

@wolfgangw I too am a newbie and will strive to forever keep that status- forever young in mind and spirit -  always ready to wonder.

Taking yourself seriously is no laughing matter.
Taking someone else, seriously, it's a federal offense.

ReplyQuote