Notifications
Clear all

I built my own 555!  

RSS

VE1DX
(@ve1dx)
Estimable Member
2020-06-27 7:54 pm  

OK, not really.  But I've been eyeing this kit for 6 months or more.  Finally got it.  And, after a bit of soldering, I had a gigantic 555 timer.  Works well . . . at least it flashes LEDs properly.

IMG 4688

- Paul VE1DX

robotBuilder
(@robotbuilder)
Reputable Member
2020-06-27 8:53 pm  

And do you understand how the 555 module works at the level of the transistors and resisters? This circuit is itself made from smaller modules understandable in themselves all the way down to the transistor and resister. Useful circuits, like useful software functions, can be used as single modular units to build more  complex modules without understanding their internal workings only needing to know how to use them.

ReplyQuote
VE1DX
(@ve1dx)
Estimable Member
2020-06-28 1:24 pm  

More or less.  I didn't analyze what every component does, but I have a general idea.  The point of getting this kit was because it was a novelty.  I've been using 555s since the 1970s. 

I couldn't agree more about your software comparison.  I was lucky enough to spend 8-10 years in a Pascal-only shop, and while that language has pretty much disappeared, it certainly cements the idea of modular, structured programming in a person's mind.

Paul VE1DX

ReplyQuote