ESP32 Compile Problem
I finally have an ESP32 with a built-in display and have already gone through the extensive effort of installing the Python stuff on my computer and feel like I am ready to go. When I pug the device into my computer it goes through a loop and searches for WiFi's around to demonstrate that it is functioning.
I am following the Getting Started with ESP-32 tutorial and after compiling the sketch that I have copied from the tutorial I get the error message: "
Arduino: 1.8.16 (Windows 10), Board: "ESP32S2 Dev Module, Disabled, Disabled, Disabled, UART0, Disabled, Default 4MB with spiffs (1.2MB APP/1.5MB SPIFFS), 240MHz (WiFi), QIO, 80MHz, 4MB (32Mb), 921600, None"
Sketch uses 198018 bytes (15%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1310720 bytes.
Global variables use 10140 bytes (3%) of dynamic memory, leaving 317540 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 327680 bytes.
Serial port not selected."
I don't know what all this is about. I understand some the sketch isn't pushing to board to its limits, and the serial port is not selected.
Thanks for any input.
Looking at it some more it looks like it does compile without an issue. It is at upload time when it not only starts compiling again, but then at the end complains about the serial port not having been selected.
I have gone back and ensured python 2.7 and pyserial.py version 2.7 are installed although I cannot verify that the pyserial.py is installed but I don't see any error messages after installing it either through command prompt or directly.
I still cannot upload following the procedure: click on upload, press the pgm button in case of my board. After clicking on upload button in the IDE I am not even told uploading is taking place.
I am not clear what is going on, but I tend to agree it looks like your serial port 'handling system' rather than compiler, so I would suggest try checking it out.
First, I assume you looked at the Arduino IDE - Tools - Port .... to see if there were any 'choices' that would make a difference .. there was only 1 in my case but ...
I haven't tried using Arduino with Windows ... so far I have only used Linux .. but I have used somewhat similar serial connections using USB in other places. My experience can be best described as 'mixed' ... sometimes it just 'works' ... other times it means playing with the Device Manager. Unfortunately, I also find this tends to be a bit of 'voyage of discovery' which is different every time, so be prepared to do a bit of searching around.
As a start, the first one that came up in Google was :
And in particular, starting at
Installing Arduino Drivers in Windows 10
Use this as a rough guide to first, get into Device Manager, and look for a USB device a bit like shown in the picture, particularly looking for a device with a yellow triangle 'roadsign' with an "!" in the triangle.
If there is a 'relevant' looking device (eg one that says Arduino I guess?) without a triangle, then maybe this might be the wrong place to look and you need an alternate route.
However, if you find a yellow triangle, then this is certainly a problem to fix. My first suggestion would be:
- Right click on the device ... Choose Uninstall Device ... accepting the warning check. This should remove the driver.
- Goto the menu across the top of the window ... choose Action --> Scan for hardware changes
This will try to install the device ... assuming you have already loaded the Arduino choice into Windows, but it hadn't been used.
This might install something new without the yellow triangle (I hope) .. or return it back to the yellow triangle state. If there is a new device and no triangle, you MIGHT have fixed it.
If it goes back to yellow triangle state, then be prepared to "repeat" the process with variations. The first variation is listed in the how-to guide I just suggested, which downloads the driver manually, and then chooses that driver manually.
It is feasible there will be other variations on this theme if you Google further.
@davee The "port" part of the IDE > Tools is disabled. Apparently this is a common issue, and because there are hundreds of boards, there are thousands of methods of dealing with this. I know the big issue with this ESP32 is Python, and it is something that is known to be problematic for Windows and you need to "very" carefully follow process outlined by Adafruit to install the right version of Python, which I have, and then the right version of "pyserial", which I think I have although I have no evidence of it. Something is telling me this could be part of the problem.
I looked at the list of com ports and all is well there.
Thanks for the input.