Notifications
Clear all

Arduino UNO vs the MEGA 2560

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@bill6748)
Topic starter  

After a lot of FAIL and a lot more research, it appears the newer Arduino MEGA 2560

does not support an IR_transmit on Pin 3 or anywhere else without a lot of core program

re-write. Is that correct? As my project is indeed an IR transmit build, I’m looking for

confirmation the Arduino UNO must be used. . If so, I will some have a MEGA  2560 board

for sale. Cheap.

Thanks

Topic Tags
byron
(@byron)
No Title

@bill6748

Hey, happy to swap a uno for your mega 😀 .  But I think you maybe basing the use of pin3 on the uno because in the dronebot article on IR's where a library by Ken Shirriff was used.   There is another library by Chris Young who based his on the Ken Shirriff one and the latest of this appears to be the IRLib2 version dated in 2017.   

https://github.com/cyborg5/IRLib2

This library states it can be used by the mega 256 so maybe you can get it to work, but I have not used this library myself though.

ReplyQuote
(@bill6748)
Topic starter  

Byron;

Thanks kindly. Your reply was a huge help and much appreciated. I did manage to download the

new Chris Young IR library from Github try to build a few sketches. Unfortunately for me, his updated library speaks to a level far above my skill set.

I did find an original UNO board from a local dealer and will move forward with Ken Shirriff’s dot One version using pin 3 and the IRsend command. May I ping you back if I run into any more issues ?

Bill6748

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

@bill6748

Just a note that if you need to put in a reply so that a person is notified that you have posted you need to use their @ handle as shown under there forum name, so for you its @bill6748 and for me its @byron.  Otherwise its easy to miss a post if one doesn't visit the forum for a few days.

Now you have a uno it would undoubtedly be a better plan to start with the DroneBots examples with are very well explained.  However, it would probably be a good plan to graduate to using the later library and get it working on your mega.  I have not had a chance to have a go at anything myself due to utter chaos in my electronics play area which will not get resolved for a good few months as I have other projects on the go, but I thought the Chris Young IR library looked promising with some good example programs.  Whilst his examples may appear above your skill set, I think you will soon find they were only a couple of pages ahead in your programming text book.  Keep at it and enjoy 😀 ,

ReplyQuote