Notifications
Clear all

Power supply for esp32 and a4988

3 Posts
2 Users
3 Likes
(@spe109)
Topic starter  

Hi, I'm fairly new to all this and for a while I have been making a lounge curtain opener. It is working but I would like to tidy it up a bit, in particular the power supply.

I am using the esp32 as my controller and a A4988 stepper motor driver. Currently I have a little portable USB battery plugged into the esp32 and a 12volt power supply (plugged into the wall) powering the stepper motor.

I was thinking could I get rid of the USB battery, have one 12 volt supply powering the esp32 and the A4988, but put something(a buck convertor?) to step down the voltage for the esp32.

I was wondering if that is what other people would do? Or is there a better way?

Thanks for your help

Paul.

DREWSTER reacted
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

Posted by: @spe109

Hi, I'm fairly new to all this and for a while I have been making a lounge curtain opener. It is working but I would like to tidy it up a bit, in particular the power supply.

I am using the esp32 as my controller and a A4988 stepper motor driver. Currently I have a little portable USB battery plugged into the esp32 and a 12volt power supply (plugged into the wall) powering the stepper motor.

I was thinking could I get rid of the USB battery, have one 12 volt supply powering the esp32 and the A4988, but put something(a buck convertor?) to step down the voltage for the esp32.

I was wondering if that is what other people would do? Or is there a better way?

Thanks for your help

Paul.

Nothing wrong with that approach as long as the wall wart can maintain the voltage when the stepper is drawing max current. I have done similar with no problem.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

DREWSTER reacted
ReplyQuote
(@spe109)
Topic starter  

@zander Thanks very much for confirming, it's very useful when you are new to this.

DREWSTER reacted
ReplyQuote