Clear all

18650 Battery Fairytales

32 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice
Topic starter  

This is what I would call gross exaggeration!!

aliexpress

If this sort of capacity is possible, I have to ask myself "why doesn't Panasonic or Samsung make them"?

Last year I bought a powerpack that claimed to supply 50000 mAh, for less than $10. I was perfectly aware of what I was buying, but I needed an extra powerpack for the car anyway, and I was curious to find out how much current I could get for less than 10 bucks. It turned out to be about 7000 mAh.

The first giveaway was the weight, 200g. On the net, I researched 50000 mAh from reputable dealers and they weighed in at about 1kg.

Buyer beware and remember the old adage "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is"!

(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice
Topic starter  

Fake 50000 mAh powerpack passes away!

At approximately 10pm yesterday evening, my fake powerpack sent its final electron around the circuit that it was powering. It was to be expected that the unit would not live as long as other similar packs but it died before its first birthday!

An autopsy will be performed by Dr Dremel, before consigning the faithful imposter to the Valhalla of electronic junk!

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@pugwash

IOW... "Caveat Emptor"!

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

OK guys it's time to have some serious discussions about the 18650 batteries.  We've just seen a horror story here, so how about some success stories.  What have people found that have been good to very good batteries and what were the prices.  I want to get good batteries that deliver what is advertised, with a long life and plenty of recharge cycles, while coming in at a reasonable price.  I don't want cheap imitations like in the horror above but also don't want to pay an arm and a leg for something that can't deliver anything more than a cheaper model.  And also sources, since batteries seem to have some shipping restrictions.

I've not purchased my first 18650 yet so I'm open to suggestions.  Everyone join the band wagon and give us some input.

@dronebot-workshop we like to hear your take on this subject1

SteveG

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice
Topic starter  

@codecage

I think Rule #1 is, stay away from the no-name products and don't be tempted to buy from China. Even local Amazon or eBay dealers can give you a good deal on Samsung or Panasonic 18650s. I bought some Samsung 3500mAh 18650s from an eBay dealer here in Germany and I am absolutely satisfied with their performance.

But this still means you have to test them, and if they don't live up to expectations, send them back. I don't know how it is in the States and Canada, but the law on internet purchases in the EU is that you can return anything you buy online within 4 weeks, without giving any reason and expect a full refund!

Bill agreed he would do a video on power saving, and this subject is intricately entwined with power sources.

You might want to look at my related threads on Wemos Li-ion 18650 charger boards, these are riskier waters to tread and I find it a bit of a lottery to get good ones. But if they do work properly they are a Godsend for small remote projects!

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@pugwash

Thanks for the tips, but it seems all I'm finding on Amazon are the "no-name" Chinese knock-offs.  Even when I search for the brand name 18650 batteries all I still get is the no-name.  And Amazon even suggests their own Amazon Basics AA batteries.  Obviously not what I was searching for.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
BunnyKiller
(@bunnykiller)

looking for decent to hi quality 18650s??  find a Vape Shop, seriously, a Vape shop sells top quality batteries. Ive got some 18650s ( Sonys) that have been in constant service for over 3 yrs ( yes I vape) and they are still going strong. the 4 sets I have all have been recharged over 300Xs with very little loss in performance.

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bunnykiller

looking for decent to hi quality 18650s??  find a Vape Shop, seriously, a Vape shop sells top quality batteries. Ive got some 18650s ( Sonys) that have been in constant service for over 3 yrs ( yes I vape) and they are still going strong. the 4 sets I have all have been recharged over 300Xs with very little loss in performance.

I hadn't thought of that solution! Thanks!

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@bunnykiller

Thank you for that!  I don't vape so had definitely not thought of that solution.

That's what makes this forum so great. A way for us to get advice from everyone.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@bunnykiller

How have you found the costs of the batteries at your vape shop to be reasonable?  I'm going to have to visit a shop that is close to me to see what I can do to get a supply of them.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
 Royz
(@royz)

Many of the battery packs in laptops use about 9 18650 cells.  Most are good quality and you can usually salvage several good ones from old packs.  Some battery packs may use the gelpack or bag conformation rather than 18650.  If the pack is thinner than the cells, it probably has the pack style.  I did buy some 18650 35000 mAh on Ebay which were about only 350 mAh.  I  complained to the vendor that wanted some proof which I sent in the way of readout from charger/dis-charger.  They refunded me and said keep batteries!  

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

Question for all following this thread:

What is the main difference between the 'flat top' vs the 'button top' 18650 batteries?  As well as the Pros  & Cons between the different types, and in what circumstance would you use one over the other.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
BunnyKiller
(@bunnykiller)

flat tops have the wide contact surface, pretty much as wide as the whole top of the battery within the insulated area, button tops have a protrudance ( a nub) that is about 5/32" in dia and is raised about an additional 32nd of an inch higher than the flat top variety. pros n cons???  not much of either. the button tops were made to fit in battery holders that use  a small nub to make contact with the battery. most battery holders have a contact area on the + side that can cover about 1/2 the dia of the battery thus making the button top kinda unusable since it would fall inside the contact disc of the battery holder. as far as the rest of the battery, its identical elsewise.

ReplyQuote
BunnyKiller
(@bunnykiller)

battery costs from vape shops are a bit higher than elsewhere. but then again you will be getting a set of batteries that were made for hi amp usage. alot of the batteries found in laptops etc are great for slow drain applications like flashlites and computers 😉

the batteries chosen for vaping offer a stronger amp capacity and the MaH listed on the battery is usually correct, given the size of an 18650, the best one will find in mah is going to max out at around 3800 to 4200

there is another size that one can consider, the 26650... same length of the 18650 but wider, almost as wide as a C cell ( 26mm). they dont offer the stronger amp current as a good "vape battery" but they do offer alot more "current time".

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@bunnykiller

Thanks for further info.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3