tried to copy/paste the gps logger code over to an esp12-e an 8266 no luck

80 Posts
4 Users
6 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@madmike970 Close, what needs to happen is to find and add the library that the ESP boards use, BUT, since the 8266 at least compiles why bother. I will look at Bills video when I have some time, but with a very full calendar ahead of me it will be a come and go. At this point I am totally stumped and I have over a half century experience debugging computers so don't feel bad. My feeling is it something simple we have overlooked. Right now I have to watch the Masters. TTYL.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

Posted by: @zander

@madmike970 I don't know what to say. Contrary to popular belief most programmers spend more time debugging than they do programming. Either this sketch is not the sketch that Bill used, or the board I am using is not the right board.The messages being produced are foreign to me, has @will seen this sort of message before, it sounds like technical jargon, I see chksum, tail etc but no idea who is producing it.

Sorry, can't help you out here. Haven't used any of the ESP family nor GPS I just commented on the problems coding.

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will Yes, I keep forgetting that.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 Got it! Here is screen print of the DBWS gps logger code running on an ESP32. I didn't connect any leds, gps, sd card but this is the first time it produced the expected msgs re starting the gps and card failed (last 4 msgs).

The secret is to go into Tools/Manage Libraries then enter softwareserial in the search box and then look for the entry called EspSoftwareSerial and click Install.

Screen Shot 2022 04 10 at 20.43.35
Screen Shot 2022 04 10 at 20.45.03

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

Though still failing, i am working on making progress, and one thing ive been able to figure out is that by opening serial monitor i was essentially forcing the esp8266 into flash mode... so i think im gonna try widdling through it without any serial debug

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 Um, flash mode is enabled by pressing the button labelled BOOT, normally to the right of the USB connector when closest to you. This thread is so old I don't really remember much about it.

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

@zander actually theres a reset button and a flash button... and from my understanding serial monitor sets gpio0 to HI or something like that so i will need to use realterm to enter serial monitor AND keep gpio set to LO

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 Yes two buttons, everything else you said is greek to me. I use esp's all the time and have never run across what you are saying.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 Not trying to be difficult, but why are you showing me that?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 I looked back thru some posts, here is where I solved your problem

https://forum.dronebotworkshop.com/postid/27732/

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

dude im done with this forum... you're a dick. you are like the anti help.... go fuck yourself

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

arrogant fuck

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 Excuse me, I gave you the solution and you dump on me?

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

you gave me no solution jackass.... i tried running it and got the same results as previous..... you're just so high strung and busy patting yourself on the back you failed to read my response to your "solution" 

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6