Clear all

What's on my 328 ?

5 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
flister98
(@flister98)
Topic starter  

I made the mistake, more than once, of placing my ATMEGA328 on my table with other ATMEGA328s  and have to reload my sketches. A hassel, but easy enough. This brought up the question, is there a way to see what is already loaded on an ATMEGA328? We always write sketches to the ATMEGA328, but can you read a sketch from an ATMEGA328?

JoeLyddon
(@joelyddon)

Posted by: @flister98

I made the mistake, more than once, of placing my ATMEGA328 on my table with other ATMEGA328s  and have to reload my sketches. A hassel, but easy enough. This brought up the question, is there a way to see what is already loaded on an ATMEGA328? We always write sketches to the ATMEGA328, but can you read a sketch from an ATMEGA328?

Hi flister98!

Welcome aboard!  Wish I could help...  Someone here will, I'm sure...  Never heard of the 328S...  just 328P...

Thanks for keeping us updated with your Solution, OK?

BTW, what is the 328S?  The 328P is a bare bones chip WITH the boot loader.

Have Fun,
Joe Lyddon

www.woodworkstuff.net

ReplyQuote
flister98
(@flister98)
Topic starter  

@joelyddon

Actually, after re-reading my original message, when I mentioned "ATMEGA328s" I was referring to the ATMEGA328 in a plural sense, meaning more than one. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, is there really a difference between the 328P, 328P-U, and the 328P-PU ?

This post was modified 4 years ago by flister98

JoeLyddon reacted
ReplyQuote
JoeLyddon
(@joelyddon)

Posted by: @flister98

@joelyddon

Actually, after re-reading my original message, when I mentioned "ATMEGA328s" I was referring to the ATMEGA328 in a plural sense, meaning more than one. Sorry for the confusion.

Golly, I don't know...  I just know what I learned fro Bill's video on the subject...  Using the 328 as a standalone chip, programming it, etc.  Describing the P as a chip with the bootloader installed.

Have Fun,
Joe Lyddon

www.woodworkstuff.net

ReplyQuote
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice

@flister98

This brought up the question, is there a way to see what is already loaded on an ATMEGA328? We always write sketches to the ATMEGA328, but can you read a sketch from an ATMEGA328?

No!

But if you search the forum, you will find a thread discussing various alternatives to add the sketch file name in the setup(), so that every time the Arduino is plugged in, the sketch file name appears in the serial monitor window.

The general rule is that the ATMEGA328P is a low power version of the ATMEGA328, but without a bootloader. The ATMEGA328 PU has the bootloader pre-installed.

If you put ATMEGA in the search field, you will find a quite exhaustive discussion between myself and @codecage, about these different µcontrollers and uploading different bootloaders.

ReplyQuote