Notifications
Clear all

PCB Design

13 Posts
8 Users
3 Likes
(@greenbee)
Topic starter  

I know that Bill showed us how to use the ATmega328 on a breadboard (which was tremendously interesting), and the next logical step would be designing and ordering a PCB board.

I think this would resonate with a lot of viewers because it is very useful (and cheap) to design PCB's and order them online. Most of the viewers must have all sorts of breadboard projects lying around, and desiging a PCB could prove to be a nice challenge.

bugsy123 reacted
(@anibal)

I agree but I’m sure Bill can invest his time and energy into videos that will be appreciated and utilized by us technician types and DYI’s. That being said Bill went over a list of useful tools such as PCB making and one is particularly interesting because it’s free, easy and has well illustrated video instructions on how to use it. That would be https://easyeda.com. Again, of course I speak for myself, I think Bill should build videos aimed at the greater interest needs of our community, such as a video on how to use an oscilloscope for example or an integrated instruction on basic and intermediate level general electronics with practical projects such as (IOT) as the instructive body. 

Best,

Anibal 

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@greenbee

Yes designing a PCB to use the ATmega328 without having to dedicate an entire Arduino to a simple task is a good idea.

But it almost always has to be designed with a specific task in mind.  Like the one I did for a remote Temp/Humid sensor with built-in RF capability.  If you want it to be generic, than just use the Arduino.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
Sid
 Sid
(@sid)

Posted by: @codecage

@greenbee

Yes designing a PCB to use the ATmega328 without having to dedicate an entire Arduino to a simple task is a good idea.

But it almost always has to be designed with a specific task in mind.  Like the one I did for a remote Temp/Humid sensor with built-in RF capability.  If you want it to be generic, than just use the Arduino.

Because you did one and got it working...

I know, I should not try to change what this original discussion is about, but I have a Circuit that I posted on the video for the same here. Sadly, no one has replied to my question or even pointed out if the circuit was okay.

I did that circuit using EasyEda, but ran into issues (fusing? or better in my terminology - destroying the chips) just because the Component schematic I found was wrong. This was pointed out on the original Arduino Forum, but even the community there failed to answer my questions.

I know it goes off topic, but a personal request - if you could spare a few moments to look at that circuit and at least let me know if it would work - I have it up here - https://forum.dronebotworkshop.com/2018/arduino-uno-to-atmega328-shrinking-your-arduino-projects/#post-15051

PS. Only after burning 3 of those, I found this video from DBW and joined up this wonderful forum.

I do my pcb etching at home using a Handheld Drill and Ferric Chloride - I picked it up after some videos on YouTube during the Lockdown.

Life is exploring and learning

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@sid

While I understand your frustration in not having anyone respond to your request for an extra set of eyes to look at your design and give it their blessing, try to remember that if I say it looks good to me and something goes wrong because I missed an issue that you also missed, then I'm going to get the blame!

I did look at your schematic when you first posted it, but was not at a point where I could spend any extra time really taking a hard look, so I did not respond.  I just now took another 'quick' look and again not have a totally empty calendar of projects of my own will not be able to devote the time need to give it my blessing.

On my 'quick' look I thought I saw something that had Vcc shorted to ground which gave me pause and would warrant taking a 'hard' look.  I use KiCad and have not really tried EasyEda.  Does EasyEda have an "Electrical Rules Checker" (ERC)?

My circuit was much simpler than yours in that I didn't have a need for a FTDI connection, nor a need for all the other Analog and Digital pins.  Only the pins needed for my design.

If I had the time I would take your design and put it into KiCad just to see it on my own familiar ground.

SteveG

Sid reacted
ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@sid

I looked casually again and realized my eyes skipped over the capacitor that was in the 'short' I thought I saw.  So it wasn't a short after all.  😎 

SteveG

Sid reacted
ReplyQuote
SecondLaw
(@secondlaw)

Posted by: @anibal

a video on how to use an oscilloscope

I'd like that. My oscilloscope IQ is lacking. Making the logical connection between working on a real project with PWM and actually knowing how to leverage the oscilloscope to better help my project, is a weak area for me. Embarrassing, but true.

ReplyQuote
Sid
 Sid
(@sid)

My circuit was much simpler than yours in that I didn't have a need for a FTDI connection, nor a need for all the other Analog and Digital pins.  Only the pins needed for my design.

Thanks for finding out the time to have a look at it. I know, it is tough when you have things at hand.

My initial circuit was a very simple one - something similar to what Bill had on the video (barring the FTDI part) - just something that I had originally planned - use the ATMEGA328P chip on the LED projects (something they call Barebones if I recall right) that I was doing. As I have not much idea on Electronics, I wasnt sure of the schematic and this is why I posted it on Arduino forum where I was told about the "decoupling resistors" etc. and eventually they got added to the schematic. Then, when I saw Bill's video, it too used only the Crystal and the 2 - 22pf Capacitors along with an FTDI to upload the codes. And that is where I thought to have it on the circuit as well as that would have helped me use different codes (on the same project) to be uploaded later.

ReplyQuote
Sid
 Sid
(@sid)

try to remember that if I say it looks good to me and something goes wrong because I missed an issue that you also missed, then I'm going to get the blame!

Never thought of the "blame" thing ever, but yes, I know some of this kind also exist.

ReplyQuote
Sumanta
(@sumanta)

@codecage

A handmade Arduino has a big limitation. You won't be able to use shields with it, even if you solder female headers to it, as the pinouts of ATMEGA328 are different from the Arduino Uno. Am I right?

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@sumanta

Posted by: @sumanta

@codecage

A handmade Arduino has a big limitation. You won't be able to use shields with it, even if you solder female headers to it, as the pinouts of ATMEGA328 are different from the Arduino Uno. Am I right?

Indeed, but such requirements were never part of the exercise and or requirement.

The whole act of doing this is to shrink down the size of your microcontroller, after you have tested and debugged your design on a full sized Arduino, and then want to put it into production, potentially on your own designed PCB too.

Cheers.

ReplyQuote
Sumanta
(@sumanta)

@frogandtoad

Okay. So it's not made for projects using a shield (s). Thanks for pointing this out. 🙂 

ReplyQuote
(@martin-richard)

Hi Everyone

regarding PCB's i have made them and had them made in the past but now i work out my projects on an uno and bread board then i use a nano on veroboard for the finished product these nanos header pins and veroboards are going for buttons on the likes of eBay and amazon

i found that to make my own PCB's took a lot of time and effort to end up with something that didn't look that good good but was functional and to take to the next level would be costly and time consuming 

the made up pcb's by the likes of pcbway and jlc pcb were absolutely stunning in appearance but they do copy my mistakes ie component holes to small ( I do everything manually) also you get 5 of them when you only need one and for the cost of the shipping i can get a drawer full of these Veroboard's 

i know veroboard is not everyone's cup of tea but its a suggestion as an alternative to pcb's

Regards

Martin

ReplyQuote