Clear all

Node-Red Connected IOT Project

8 Posts
3 Users
5 Likes
(@sufham)
Topic starter  

Hi Bill, 

I was curious to see you build a practical project based on Node-Red, MQQT and Raspberry pi/Arduino boards for IOT. I am sure it will be a very attractive project. Thanks. 

Regards

Sufi, 

(@mark-bolton)

Not quite sure where you  are riffing here.

I am functionally illiterate when it comes to C++ and HTML based solid coding from scratch. (Though I am going through lots of tutorials)

What I am doing though is building machines and treating stolen snippets of code like a Magpie (Koolbardie here in Australia) treats small brightly colored objects.

I steal them and throw them into a horrifyingly Dr Seuss like ramshackle sketch and poke them and worry  with my beak until I get them to do what I want them to.

Every time I do it and it works I have a slightly better idea of what about the latest bird's nest works where the previous one doesn't.

Back in the Mesozoic I remember going from OHMS Law to having a thorough understanding of the workings of a valve superhet receiver.  Back then it seemed a triumph but compared with the complexity of systems today, that was a very simple machine and there was never much departure from the archetype. 

But yes it would be interesting to see if Bill is interested in such a venture and, if so where he would venture with it.

Bill is really good value to me because he paints in the details on the level below that and the projects he presents really help to consolidate the more elemental ingredients.

Cheers

M

ReplyQuote
(@mark-bolton)

Further to my last ...  I have got my project to do everything I wanted it to do by stealing code for the ESP and butchering Node Red  for the hub.. I really would like to implement more elegant and controllable system  but I cant code , but would be willing to learn. The courses seem to be like the useless High School if / then / else .. etc... yeah I went and done that stuff in the 80s and with Basic and machine code. The logic and "butcher paper" stage if familiar but that is all the javascript tutorials seem to do...

I feel like I am bashing my head against a brick wall.

Teach your grandma how to suck eggs but not how to write code that will conform ,and be relevant to the task we would like to bring to fruition.

TIA

M

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@mark-bolton

Posted by: @mark-bolton

Further to my last ...  I have got my project to do everything I wanted it to do by stealing code for the ESP and butchering Node Red  for the hub.. I really would like to implement more elegant and controllable system  but I cant code , but would be willing to learn. The courses seem to be like the useless High School if / then / else .. etc... yeah I went and done that stuff in the 80s and with Basic and machine code. The logic and "butcher paper" stage if familiar but that is all the javascript tutorials seem to do...

I feel like I am bashing my head against a brick wall.

Teach your grandma how to suck eggs but not how to write code that will conform ,and be relevant to the task we would like to bring to fruition.

TIA

M

Post the code you don't understand and I or others will help you to understand it.

Cheers.

ReplyQuote
(@mark-bolton)

Thank you kindly frog and toad. I will certainly take you and the group up on your offer.

During the last few month I have gone from being completely illiterate to knowing a little bit and even remedy rudimentary errors.

I remember designing and building a valve oscilloscope back in the Mesozoic seemed just as challenging  and was just as satisfying once I had completed the project. 3BP1 ...

Sometimes eating the elephant one spoonful at a time can be exasperating but, if it were easy I would probably do something else as a hobby and a challenge.

The agony and the ecstasy 😉

Kindest

M

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@mark-bolton

Thank you kindly frog and toad. I will certainly take you and the group up on your offer.

During the last few month I have gone from being completely illiterate to knowing a little bit and even remedy rudimentary errors.

I remember designing and building a valve oscilloscope back in the Mesozoic seemed just as challenging  and was just as satisfying once I had completed the project. 3BP1 ...

Sometimes eating the elephant one spoonful at a time can be exasperating but, if it were easy I would probably do something else as a hobby and a challenge.

The agony and the ecstasy 😉

Kindest

M

No problem digger!

Show us what you got!

Mark Bolton reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mark-bolton)

@frogandtoad

Well at the moment my questions are incoherent. It was like when I was first in a position where I found in necessary to communicate in German. When my vocabulary was probably 25 words or there about. I had no clue about grammar and every language course available seemed to be aiming at discourse in German on the level of Goethe or Schiller.

My German girlfriend had a voice that was deeper than mine.. her people from Friedrichshafen were responsible for the Zeppelin.  My heart still palpitates.

I am a language guy.  I once had a colleague who had a theoretical command of English (he was Vietnamese) on par or better than the majority of Australians but he had learned it all from books or the sequestered Professorial mandarins in Saigon University.

I have never seen such a profound disparity in understanding, in a particular field and being able to operate effectively in that same field.

I am a voice actor and probably have the equivalent fluency in Spoken English as the folks that write the code that I look at and find so infuriating and impenetrable... 

"Old Mate" .... couldn't communicate at all in Australia in English. I could understand him but I have a Babel Fish in my ear.

I can hear when people are lying. I can hear when they are pretending to be someone that they aren't. I spent two years in jail but have a clean "police record" I heard so many voices and so many stories and know how the ability of humans to articulate their needs and feelings and vulnerabilities overlay their ability to be very dangerous whilst serving those very same human requirements that might sound so benign.

"Old Mate" .. once I had finished with him had three accents in English .. his "polished" one that would make in a rock star in any board room on the planet.

His educated Australian one... which would make him a hero buying Banh Mi at the Girraween "crunchy skull" coffee shop .. in suburban Western Australia...

And the other one was a rough and tumble working class accent that would serve him well if he had dealings with diamond exploration drillers .. underground miners ...

The later I never had the opportunity to take him to those places where that accent is used and those blokes can sniff out a fake in a second and will "bridge up" ... Kalgoorlie mining town blokes ..I could have got him accepted there too.

"Old Mate" did however, set it up that I went to Vietnam and I , in my turn,  felt utterly out of my depth...

As an Australian I can tell you we mock every one and everything with out mercy.

Almost my entire time in Vietnam I was being mocked brutally ... but was shown many smiling faces and limitless mercy...

I think I did OK ?

So what has my little reminisce to do with machines? Well I was going to get onto that with a philosophical bridge to do with the concept of "agency" and "free will" ... and why did a Humanity "Zombie Studies" guy like me ever just light on STEM and Electronics in particular even though I knew I was shit at it? 

When I was a little kid I found life in the human zoo too terrifying to be contemplated and conjectured; perhaps  a life immersed in Science might keep me safe from these savages.

If I had been shit at "dealing with these savages" I wouldn't have had a hope surviving in prison nor would my wife have stuck with me and visited me as often as she could and she got the love and respect of those those men in prison with me at the same time as I got the trust and respect of the prison officers...

If you have read this far I admire your endurance...

Thanks Mate !!!

huckOhio reacted
ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@mark-bolton

I am a language guy.  I once had a colleague who had a theoretical command of English (he was Vietnamese) on par or better than the majority of Australians but he had learned it all from books or the sequestered Professorial mandarins in Saigon University.

My gorgeous partner is Vietnamese, and I love "Banh Mi" and "PHO" 😉

As an Australian I can tell you we mock every one and everything with out mercy.

LOL... ain't that the truth - If you're not an Aussie... you just don't get it!

If you have read this far I admire your endurance...

Thanks Mate !!!

Understood, and you're welcome!

Mark Bolton reacted
ReplyQuote