Notifications
Clear all

L298n H-bridge

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@chickenhawk)
Topic starter  

My grandson had a working ROV, but when they went to go from jumper wires to a more permanent wiring system the whole thing quit working. On his l298n motor driver I'm sure before when you powered up the ROV the 5 volt led and the leds marked L1--L2--L3--L4 all turned on and stayed on, but now when you turn on the power the 5 leds light up but then the 5 volt led stays on and all 4 of the "L" leds go out and of course the motors now do not turn. Did he some how short out the motor driver? He took a picture of the wiring and drew a picture of the wiring layout before he started.

robotBuilder
(@robotbuilder)

Posted by: @chickenhawk

Did he some how short out the motor driver?

Not sure how you can short out the motors?  You can short out the circuitry or battery connected to them causing a current overload !  My assumption here would be the output of the L298 would handle a short between the motor output connectors and not be damaged.

After some reading some say you can burn out the L298 however the specs say "The controller has fast short-circuit protection diodes, and a nice heatsink to keep the L298N happy."

Do the motors work if you connect a battery to them?

Perhaps a clear photo or wiring sketch of the project might help?

ReplyQuote
(@chickenhawk)
Topic starter  

No motors work fine,  but I believe the the problem lies with the motor driver, We went to the old standby (youtube) and from what we have seen the 4 leds for L1 to L4 should stay lit or at least flash as each circuit is  activated.  I looked at the pictures he took before and after the wiring was done and every thing is hooked up as before.  I did a test, I took a jumper from the 5 volt pin on the 2560 and in turn touched each of the of the pins -marked IN1 --IN2--IN3--IN4 on the l298n ( one at a time) and the led for that pin lite up and the tracks turned. Then one at a time, I unplugged the wire from the from the 2560 to IN1--IN4 and each time I unplugged the wire from the 2560 the motors would turn.

ReplyQuote