8 Users
10 Likes
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer

Posted by: @duce-robot

@robo-pi

A panda might do it comes with windows 10 maybe an a!pha

You're right!  I never even thought of getting a Panda for that purpose.   That might do the trick.  I'll need to watch some reviews and videos on the Panda and see if that might do it.   SBCs are getting to the point where they are becoming cost-effective replacements for laptops and desktop machines.   These Jetson Nanos have been working pretty well for me.  With the exception that they don't do Windows.   As long as I'm doing things that can be done on Linux they seem to be working pretty darn well. ? 

DroneBot Workshop Robotics Engineer
James

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)

Posted by: @robo-pi

Please do.  I need a computer that runs Windows 10, because the program I want record only runs on Windows.   I'd really like to stay under or no more than $500.  I know I can run out and buy fast computers for around a grand or more.  So that question has already been answered.

I was actually joking about that while hinting at the Jetson, but, if yer serious, the other day I was thinking about getting a new computer. Not for gaming, but, I was looking at the gaming websites cuz I figured that a gaming type rig would be powerful enough to do all the stupid things I do to my computer, and what I found was rather surprising

Now, I looked at a few, but this one has a decent upgradability, and since I was planning on buying the parts one at a time as I got the money (heh, I spend $ easy on robot parts, but, for a computer that I use every day, I cheap out) this item seemed my best option

There's also a company called SB Components (that I bought some of the coolest motor control boards from) that sells a win10 SD card for the Raspi, but, unfortunately, they'll ship parts over seas, but not SD cards. And it was only $10. It would have been nice. Ah well

Duce robot reacted
ReplyQuote
Duce robot
(@duce-robot)
Topic starter  

@robo-pi

It also comes with a 3 d modeler arduino ide and a Leonardo arduino built in if that's useful .there are so many awesome SBC out there it has just exploded.you can spend 1000 on one easy .b.o.a.t  break out another thousand.??

ReplyQuote
Duce robot
(@duce-robot)
Topic starter  

@robo-pi

Do you think I could use an esp 8266 to get wee fee to the nano using the esp as the master and the nano as the slave ? AS backward as that sounds?

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer

@robo-pi

Do you think I could use an esp 8266 to get wee fee to the nano using the esp as the master and the nano as the slave ? AS backward as that sounds?

Yes that can be done.  But plugging in a WiFi dongle would be infinitely simpler. ? 

If you want to use an ESP8266 you could probably use a tutorial for a Raspberry Pi and just work out any small details that might be required for the Jetson Nano.

Connect ESP8266 to Raspberry Pi

James

Duce robot reacted
ReplyQuote
Duce robot
(@duce-robot)
Topic starter  

@robo-pi

I'm going for the plug in then I'll use the esp for something else it is such a cool board I don't want to leave it out. But I'm using  the wi fi dongle.I got the 128 gig Samsung evo card for it and the high side power supply. I think bill said use the jumper for that side to get power to the pins .?but I have not plugged it in yet I have to re up my wi fi tomorrow still running off the duce robot broad band expensive and a limited plan .so I haven't downloaded the nvidia image yet I see now without even using it yet why you got another one.but I think one is enough for my limited knowledge .my biggest question is what programming language is this thing going to be based in python? If so cool  I like c but it doesn't matter I'll pick it up . I'm going to start tomorrow . do I need different drivers for python? ??

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer

my biggest question is what programming language is this thing going to be based in python?

You can use whatever programming language you like.  You'll just need to install the proper software for it.

The Jetson nano comes with Python already installed so if you want to use Python you're all set.   You might want to install a GUI code IDE for it though.  I have Visual Studio OSS installed as per Paul McWhorter's videos on "A.I. on the Jetson Nano".   OSS is a pretty nice IDE but certainly not the only one available.  You can also use Geany if you like.   I like Geany, but I'm going with Visual Studio OSS just to be consistent with what Paul's using.

James

Duce robot reacted
ReplyQuote
Duce robot
(@duce-robot)
Topic starter  

So this thing is going to learn and do things on its own ?what is visual studio ? I'm probably going to get it does it display back the sensor data on the screen because you know I'm big on that stuff I would ultimately like to see all sensor data played back on screen with the speech function voicing the state of each sensor temp and such it seems like this thing is going to just take us all away with ai learning ........just when you thought it was safe to say I'm almost done lol ??

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer

So this thing is going to learn and do things on its own ?

From what I hear NIVIDIA offers software that runs on the Jetson Nano that exhibits what thy are calling A.I. 

Having said that I watched a video on it and discovered that you need to "train" it first by taking a gazillion photos as a source of training data.   I'm not personally impressed by what the A.I. community is calling Artificial Intelligence. 

For example, Paul McWhorter's course "A.I. on the Jetson Nano" is already 21 video lessons long, and we haven't done anything that I would consider to be A.I. yet.   It looks like he's preparing to get into recognizing and tracking objects in video frames.  I personally don't consider object tracking to be A.I. but apparently other people do.   If you're robot can track you, then it can follow you around.  A lot of people are willing to accept this as being A.I.  

It certainly would appear that the machine has some ability to "think" if it can recognize and track an object.

But your mouse cursor on your computer is already tracking the position of your mouse on the table.   And nobody seems to want to call that A.I.

Anyway, good luck with your A.I. projects!  I'm looking forward to hearing about them.  Don't look to me for any help.  I'm interested in learning about A.I.  But I'm far from being an expert in the field. ? 

I haven't even learned how to track an object on a video frame yet.  Although I've already learned enough about OpenCV that I'm sure I could already figure out how to do that.  I'm lazy and so I'll just wait for Paul to reveal how he does it. ? 

If you just want your robot to be "Instant A.I." you can probably just use some of the packages that are al read offered by NIVIDIA and others.  I haven't even looked into those so I don't even know what all is available.  I wanted to learn how to use OpenCV, so I'm just studying that.  I'm more interested in the education on how these things are done rather than just using them out-of-the-box. 

You might want to check with @spyder as I believe he is looking to using a "Follow Me" type of A.I. app on the Jetson Nano.

James

Duce robot reacted
ReplyQuote
Duce robot
(@duce-robot)
Topic starter  

Yes well I guess your right people have different ideas about what ai is and kind of a feel your way type of thing I'm more interested in the speech part I'll move very slowly I like this little board so I'll take my time with it but I doubt I'll have a dedicated ai  project it will just be a part of the big picture .but as I learn I can expand on it I have so many components in this robot I can spend thirty days on catching up on how to use them . I will be interested to see some other projects out there I haven't seen to many other robots only a hand full but I'm sure the flood gates will open soon .?

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)

Posted by: @robo-pi

You might want to check with @spyder as I believe he is looking to using a "Follow Me" type of A.I. app on the Jetson Nano.

As you said. That's not any kind of real AI. On the other hand, "Follow Me" is pretty much the only thing I want from it, and everything I'm doing, including most of my tangents (ok, obviously not all of them), are leading toward that goal

I'm picking up other things along the way, but, "Follow Me" is my goal

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer

Posted by: @spyder

As you said. That's not any kind of real AI

That can all depend on who we ask.  From what I see on the web a lot of people, including universities, are passing this off as A.I.   So apparently it's going to come down to semantics wars over what A.I. even means.

Same thing holds true for the lessons Paul McWhorter is giving on A.I.   Looking at the upcoming videos it appears that we're just going to be learning how to track features on a video frames.

Two things I'd like to say about this:

First, I don't blame Paul McWhorter for calling this A.I.   He's just going along with what everyone else is calling it including some universities.   So it's not like he's the one who's choosing to call it A.I.

Secondly, I'm not the least bit disappointed in the course, because I pretty figured that this was what it was really going to be about anyway.   I mean even if it's not A.I. by my definition, it's still something I'd like to learn how to do. ?   So it's basically pretty much what I expected that it would be.

Finally, apparently since so many people are calling this A.I. including several universities, then I get to come  away from it later claiming to have taken a course on A.I. ? 

I can put it in my signature below my other title of "DroneBot Workshop Robotics Engineer"

"Artificial Intelligence Software Developer"  Look out baby!  I'm earning degrees right and left.

(actually I think I'm just buying them via Patreon, but don't tell anyone)

I'm also taking McWhorter's course in the 9 axis IMU.  So I'll be adding "Inertial Guidance Systems Designer" pretty soon too.  

Look at all those degrees! ? 

Artificial Intelligence Software Developer
Inertial Guidance Systems Designer

Gotta wait until graduation day though.   Don't want to list degrees that aren't true.

James

Lee G reacted
ReplyQuote
Lee G
(@lee-g)

@robo-pi

I've been following the discussion here on A.I., as I have an interest and am seriously considering getting a Jetson Nano to "play with" and work through McWhorter's tutorial. 

First, I'll admit that I'm a newbie at most of this stuff, just getting started in uP's and the RPi world. I come from the "good old days" of vacuum tubes, transistors, and simple logic gates (74/75xx series). My first foray into programming was Assembly/Machine coding, Basic, Pascal, and then on to C.

Oh My, how things have progressed! 🙄 

So, @Robo Pi, what's your definition of "true" A.I.?

Thanks, LeeG

ReplyQuote
robotBuilder
(@robotbuilder)

@lee-g

Sadly we lost Robo Pi a while ago.

https://forum.dronebotworkshop.com/general/news-from-robopis-sister/paged/2/

ReplyQuote
Lee G
(@lee-g)

@robotbuilder

My sincere apologies. Obviously, I have not read through all of the posts as yet.

LeeG

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4