Notifications
Clear all

rcwl-0516 Cycle time

6 Posts
3 Users
6 Likes
(@farmeralan)
Topic starter  

Ive been doing some testing with the rcwl-0516 to use in the sensor I'm building to measure grass growth.  There seems to be a cycle time of about 4 seconds built into it.  Once it has triggered it will not detect motion during that 4 second time.  Not sure if there is a way to change this.  I was planning to use this sensor to measure the height of the grass by moving the sensor.  Taking a reading only once every 4 seconds is way to slow for that to work. I know these have been used for collision avoidance in some projects but it must only work for very slow moving things.  Has this been an issue for anyone?  Maybe I just got a bum batch.

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

The spec sheet says a 'finite HIGH time of 2-3 secs'

Here is a part of the description for a test rig.

I don't see anywhere that it says there is any kind of cycle time, just that as long as there is mnotion the pin goes high and stays high for up to 3 secs. However, I can see that being interpreted differently.

Screen Shot 2022 03 21 at 06.32.28

I am pretty sure these are at the rear corners of my truck and it is not slow.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

Inst-Tech reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)

This site seems to be the central resource for the RCWL-0516, perhaps it says something about the cycle time:

https://github.com/jdesbonnet/RCWL-0516/

I think C-TM (C-TIM?) might be of interest:

https://github.com/jdesbonnet/RCWL-0516/issues/36

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by YurkshireLad

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@yurkshirelad But only to elongate the time.

Screen Shot 2022 03 21 at 07.32.12

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@farmeralan)
Topic starter  

I'm eliminating rcwl-0516 as an option for my project.  It is very sensitive at detecting initial movement, but holds the pin high for too long.  I need something that reacts quickly to the change between movement an lack of movement.  Thanks for all your help and suggestions exploring the viability of this sensor for my project.  If any of you have any ideas about an alternative sensor I'd appreciate hearing from you.

ReplyQuote
(@farmeralan)
Topic starter  

@yurkshirelad that looks like a possible answer.  Thanks.  Better up my soldering game.

Inst-Tech reacted
ReplyQuote