Notifications
Clear all

Problems with connecting esp8266 through esphome with Home Assistant

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@e-danil)
Topic starter  

For my project I need to connect my esp8266 with my home assistant for that I am using esphome, but I have issues adapting it to esphome. Here is what I did

My serial ports are correct because along with the serial port name it specfics the driver which I use for esp8266.

My idea for now is by a new data cable, because, I had issues uploading for my arduino ide and it is the only board I have with mini usb. Any other ideas before I buy it.

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

Your esp8266 has a USB connection? What issues did you have with arduino IDE, you do know to press the boot button while uploading yes?

What OS ?

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)

Which ESP8266? Have you checked ESPHome's compatability list? I know there are some devices it doesnt support.

ReplyQuote
(@e-danil)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @zander

Your esp8266 has a USB connection? What issues did you have with arduino IDE, you do know to press the boot button while uploading yes?

What OS ?

Is I have usb connection. It wont respond with what I coded and takes a up 2 minutes to upload. No, I do not press the boot button while uploading. It is an os which allows you to upload new sketchs through online.

One of my boards have nothing in the back, while other has some stuff written in the back

20220615 153754
20220615 154425

It seems that this board is identical to board here.

https://esphome.io/devices/nodemcu_esp8266.html

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@e-danil

Posted by: @e-danil
Posted by: @zander

What OS ?

Is I have usb connection. It wont respond with what I coded and takes a up 2 minutes to upload. No, I do not press the boot button while uploading. It is an os which allows you to upload new sketchs through online.

One of my boards have nothing in the back, while other has some stuff written in the back

20220615 153754
20220615 154425

It seems that this board is identical to board here.

https://esphome.io/devices/nodemcu_esp8266.html

I'm not sure why you're not trying to press the boot/flash button, as even the error screen you provided asks you to try it?

ReplyQuote
(@e-danil)
Topic starter  

@frogandtoad There is no boot button. Thanks

I also tried by pressing the flash button while uploading. It did not work

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@e-danil @e-danil I have the same board, I will try to upload the blink sketch once the fog clears. One tiny point, when you say 'it did not work', we with hundreds of years of experience can NOT help you. SHOW us the error message by doing a screen capture of just the relevant part.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@e-danil Flash and Boot are the same, some boards call it one others another. You need to press and HOLD that button from before clicking the IDE upload button until after you see the complete message. It is NOT uncommon for tht to fail occasionally and mnake sure you have killed the serial monitor as it can/will interfere. AGAIN, show us the part of the screen that is telling you it didn't work. 

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@e-danil I just loaded blink on the same board you are using (see pic) In fact you do NOT need to hold the button as the 2nd pic shows.

Now if you would pst a pic of your error message maybe someone can help.

IMG 6968
Screen Shot 2022 06 15 at 09.56.06

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@e-danil

Posted by: @e-danil

@frogandtoad There is no boot button. Thanks

I also tried by pressing the flash button while uploading. It did not work

Did you follow these instructions? Including installing the necessary drivers as noted?

getting_started

ReplyQuote
(@e-danil)
Topic starter  

I was on a long vacation and when I came I totally forget about this post. Sorry

the issue is I clicked on  a URL in the home assistant which brought to the esphome dashboard all the time rather than clicking on continue.

When found it , it worked like a charm

but I ran into an another issue,

the SD slot of my raspberry pi broke, So I am unable to boot home assistant. I tried several ways but was unable. At the end I left my dream of a cheap smart home. And I am planning turn the existing hardware into an alxea based one.

And for others, taking such a project may look like cheap but really it is a very time consuming and very difficult task to pull of.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help me

This post was modified 1 year ago 3 times by E.Danil

ReplyQuote