Need Arduino programming help

26 Posts
7 Users
1 Likes
WolfgangW
(@wolfgangw)

@frogandtoad

Hi

I couldn't say better, indeed I couldn't explain it in English at all. It is just not good enough. Even though, it was not easy to read, but I understand and ... you are right.

Nevertheless - I think you could agree with me on this - if I explain it to someone without this background, they will understand as much as before.
It was not my intention to spread half-truths here, but rather to say in simple words, which may then be easier to understand.

If you deep enough inside programming, you have to know. But I think someone who do this not as a professional, can quickly feel overwhelmed with such an explanation.

@codecage

I apologize if this gives you the wrong impression. 

Wolfgang

If I am not here, then I am most probably somewhere else

ReplyQuote
codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@wolfgangw

I'm fine with both your statements and those of @frogandtoad as I understand what both of you are meaning.  But I would have to concede that someone just getting started in programming, especially C and its variants, always seem to get lost with pointers and the constructs like '*label' and '&label' and passing values by reference.  Me included and I took several C courses with my major in college.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
WolfgangW
(@wolfgangw)

@codecage

Hi Steve,

glad to know you understand what I tried to do.  @frogandtoad is absolutely right in the way how he said.
I sometimes help people about how to get into C#. Let's say 10 people come to 1st lesson. If I always explain in  @frogandtoad 's way, next time only 5 coming.
I try to tell people there is more deep in that, but for getting into that matter, which is sure not only a little, I have to use easy words.

Sorry  @frogandtoad but the way you explaind, even it is true and correct and I can not deny anything you said, but in my understanding I would talk like this to someone who is really deep inside, or if I want someone just to be quiet.

@digidug80 is the one who asked for help as someone who is really understanding.

When I think back to the time more than 30 years ago and when the GW-Basic at that time reached its limits, I was aware that I had to learn a new language.
Back then it was still something for the absolute exotic. I've read a lot about Pascal and C in magazines. Very few people knew C ++ back then. Whenever anything was published about C, it was obscure and cryptic. I honestly hated it and even now there is still no friendship that I feel with C or C ++.
So when I think back to that time, I prefer to take a path where I try to express myself in words that are as understandable as possible.
I then often knowingly accept that these statements serve more for understanding than for lexical correctness.
And I guess I'll probably never do it any other way. But thank you @frogandtoad. I think because of using my way I often forget, to explain the deep. You still right.

🥀 friends? (sorry man I was looking for emoji for handshake, but there is none)

Wolfgang

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@wolfgangw

Posted by: @wolfgangw

Hi

I couldn't say better, indeed I couldn't explain it in English at all. It is just not good enough. Even though, it was not easy to read, but I understand and ... you are right.

No problem, it was because of your English I felt that I needed to make the clarification.  Sometimes we know what we want to say, but it doesn't come out quite right.  I'm glad that you didn't get upset, because that was never my intention... I simply didn't want the newbies reading here to walk away without clarifying, because I believe that accuracy and terminology is very important when learning.

Cheers.

Abu-Hafss reacted
ReplyQuote
(@digidug80)
Topic starter  

Ok, enough for now, I am afraid I push our new Padawan away.

Wow Obi Wan.... if your done listening to yourself talk now... why don’t you get off your high ship and come down to join the rest of us! Thanks for helping me decide that I no longer wish to be a Jedi because I’d hate to let it go to my head. So I think I’ll stick with the dark side, at least they have cookies!

ReplyQuote
WolfgangW
(@wolfgangw)

Posted by: @digidug80

Ok, enough for now, I am afraid I push our new Padawan away.

Wow Obi Wan.... if your done listening to yourself talk now... why don’t you get off your high ship and come down to join the rest of us! Thanks for helping me decide that I no longer wish to be a Jedi because I’d hate to let it go to my head. So I think I’ll stick with the dark side, at least they have cookies!

I don't really understand what is going on. 

You were asking for help and I just wanted to tell you, that you need to get some basics of programming. Working with an Arduino is no only wiring some devices, it is also about programming.

But well, maybe my english is really not good enough to explain in right way. I should remember.

Wolfgang

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@wolfgangw

Hmm... if @digidug80 didn't reply, I don't think I would have ever seen this post (2020-09-19 8:41 pm), at least I don't recall seeing it until now.

I sometimes help people about how to get into C#. Let's say 10 people come to 1st lesson. If I always explain in  @frogandtoad 's way, next time only 5 coming. I try to tell people there is more deep in that, but for getting into that matter, which is sure not only a little, I have to use easy words.

Programming is considered a technical area of expertise, and if anyone wants to learn how to program, they need to understand the technical language terminology that is associated with it.  This is especially important out in the workforce, because if you are not able to communicate an issue effectively (especially over the phone to another country, when you're on a support call or conference call with your peers), then you won't look or feel very smart, nor have a lasting career - There could be many reasons for students to abandon your class, but I don't think providing technically accurate information is one of them.

Sorry  @frogandtoad but the way you explaind, even it is true and correct and I can not deny anything you said, but in my understanding I would talk like this to someone who is really deep inside, or if I want someone just to be quiet.

Not at all.

You provided incorrect information, and I simply wanted to correct it for the benefit of readers trying to learn, that's all.

And I guess I'll probably never do it any other way. But thank you @frogandtoad. I think because of using my way I often forget, to explain the deep. You still right.

🥀 friends? (sorry man I was looking for emoji for handshake, but there is none)

I think I'll just put this down to German humor.

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)

I haven't read this whole thread, so apologies if I'm missing the point of the conversation. But I would recommend someone that is struggling with programming microcontrollers to try MicroPython instead of C/C++. Note that this might restrict you to specific devices, like the Raspberry Pi Pico. Some people are able to begin with C/C++, some aren't. There's nothing wrong with that, and you may even enjoy programming a microcontroller with MicroPython. The point is to spend more time playing with a microcontroller than fighting a programming language. Pick the right tool/programming language for the job.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
MadMisha
(@madmisha)

Posted by: @yurkshirelad

I haven't read this whole thread, so apologies if I'm missing the point of the conversation. But I would recommend someone that is struggling with programming microcontrollers to try MicroPython instead of C/C++. Note that this might restrict you to specific devices, like the Raspberry Pi Pico. Some people are able to begin with C/C++, some aren't. There's nothing wrong with that, and you may even enjoy programming a microcontroller with MicroPython. The point is to spend more time playing with a microcontroller than fighting a programming language. Pick the right tool/programming language for the job.

Cheers

As a note, esp32 can run MicroPython so you are not just limited to the new Pi Pico. I have not personally gone that route with any of mine but it is supported.

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@yurkshirelad

Posted by: @yurkshirelad

Pick the right tool/programming language for the job.

Totally agree... and for that reason, I personally recommend C and C++.
Why?  Because they just work on every device, as they were developed to be used as systems programming languages.

python was never invented for such use, and by that premise alone, it's not the right tool 😉

Cheers.

ReplyQuote
robotBuilder
(@robotbuilder)

@digidug80

Have you actually built the hardware yet?
Two push button inputs, two hall effect sensor inputs, bidirectional control of motor.
Reading your requirements again it seems to me you would require a very simple program which I might be able to help write.
I remembered a similar but more complicated project along these lines some time ago now.

https://forum.dronebotworkshop.com/project-help/mini-bowling-alley-pin-setter-coding-project-in-need-of-tutoring/

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2