Notifications
Clear all

Light Sequence Creator with LCD Display Uno R3 and 74HC595 chip-Communication Issue

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Mr Owl
(@mr-owl)
Topic starter  

@huckohio @byron @briang  @codecage  ;for FYI  another topic ; However  did post in " projects  corner , Help Wanted "

Taken Bill's  Video "Using LCD Display with Ardui

LightSequence creatorA

no"  a step further . Constructed the Arduino Hub project ( see attached )  Light Sequence Creator  Issue: not sure I'm using the right platform - the program light_sequencer.c  is  C++ . I uploaded it to CODEBlock 8.02 -Platform IDE  no build errors , but when I build and run ( usb to pc ) the arduino green light and one small yellow LED comes on but the  R and T  small lights do not . The program appears not to be communication with the Uno or my schematic ( see attached ) Can't use Arduino IDE  since it accepts a  file with ino. extension WHAT AM I DOING WRONG

-

Post this on the Arduino form also but no replies  Did check my wiring that seems okay  I allso attached a little of the program

LightSequenceCreatorschematic

byron
(@byron)
No Title

@mr-owl

I see you are doing an illuminating dive into electronics and programming. 😀

I fear I cannot bring too much light to bear on you project but I can say how I approach projects that I've grabbed from the net that don't appear to work at first. 

And that is to break everything down into small steps.  For example maybe you disconnect all your electronics except the LED's.   Then you write of copy a bit of code to do something with those LED like make them flash in sequence.  This will at least validate the wiring to the LED's.  And then move on to do something simple with your LCD, again to validate all the connections and the programming logic, at least for simple steps.

For the code you downloaded, start by identifying small bits of the code that appear to do something you recognise and just copy that code or comment out all the other bits for now  /*  xxx */  and see if you can get the code snippet to run.    If you are not familiar with platform IO and C++ to flash your arduino then don't forget you can copy/past the C++ code into the Arduino environment and compile it from there.

Have a nice cup of tea between the small steps helps too. 😎  

ReplyQuote
Mr Owl
(@mr-owl)
Topic starter  

@ byron

I switch out the  Uno R3  I just  purchased , put in my old uno broad  and all the LED s came on  so my circuit is okay  and board communicates  except for the LCD display 

I tested my LCD display with a simple  " Hello  World " program and except for power , no data pin communication - I did solder pins in  and may have damaged the display - I ordered  another one with pins 

There is a definite problem with the display so I'll see what happens when I put the new one in 

Why the UNO R3  did not communicate  - do I have to boot load it ?

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

Posted by: @mr-owl

Why the UNO R3  did not communicate  - do I have to boot load it ?

I don't think so, R3's come ready to roll.   Have you tried a simple blink test with one LED or even its on board LED if it has one?  Also you could try a simple hello world program.  If these pass then your new board should be OK, otherwise I suggest you return it from whence it came as DOA.  

ReplyQuote
Mr Owl
(@mr-owl)
Topic starter  

@byron   Simple test   UNO R3 Why did I not think of that  - will do . I'll keep the old uno in place for now 

Also notice that going thru the code  under Controls LCD Variables  ;  constant variable  rs  = 15 and en = 14  however the Uno schematic  has them wired into  A1 and A0  and I can't recognize where A1, A0 are identified in the code  ( maybe obvious to  someone who has more programming skills than me ) - see attached - don't know the rationale here .

In the meantime I'll wait for my new LCD Display 

Thanks for your interest 

lightSequence c

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

Posted by: @mr-owl

I can't recognize where A1, A0 are identified in the code

The analogue pins A0, A1 etc can also be used as digital pins in which case they get digital pin numbers 14, 15 etc.  See the attached uno pin out diagram for the alternative pin numbers.

ArdinoR3 Pins

ReplyQuote
Mr Owl
(@mr-owl)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the help , Byron 

Yes, I found it after I asked the question  (GPIO 14, 15 )

Also did "ping" test on the UNO R3 's - they are okay . Now I'll wait for the New LCD display and hope We resolved the issues 

Back to  DB1 -cable building 

ReplyQuote
BrianG
(@briang)

Just another thing to look for, the LCD can have issues if the contrast adjustment is not working right, make sure the pot works and has a good connection.

I also agree that it might be best to "build up" portions of the program to test parts of the whole (try lighting an LED, using the buttons, etc, getting the screen to work alone) and then try to tie it together.

/Brian

ReplyQuote