Notifications
Clear all

Attach modules (HC-SR501) to 3D printed enclosure - Teensy little screws!

5 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
jBo
 jBo
(@jbo)
Topic starter  

Executive summary: What size screws, and where do you get them? Do you always use screws, or do you ever just hot-glue it in place?

Hi all. Back after hiatus. I'm still at it, but not buying components and modules; instead, saved up for my first printer, Prusa Mini Plus (the mostly pre-assembled version). Have experimented quite a bit, and loving it. I'm mostly interested in practical things; no baby Yoda here.

So I want to experiment with some enclosures, boxes. I know I won't get it right the first time, but started with a housing for a PIR motion sensor.

HC-SR501 PIR Motion Sensor box mount

I suppose I could have picked a Thingy with more instructions in English. However, this design seemed nice, small, easy to print, a good place to start. It went fine, looks fine. I dry fitted the parts together after printing, seems good. 

Thanks for reading this far. Here's my question: in your projects, how do you mount the HC-SR501 module to the enclosure. The box has screw towers matching the positions of the holes on the module board, but they are really tiny. I thought the standoffs for Raspberry Pi were tiny at 2.5 mm, but these must require, maybe, 1.5 mm. Is that the answer, just look for some teeny little sheet metal screws?

Thanks very much, jBo.

This topic was modified 2 years ago by jBo

In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they're different.

Will
 Will
(@will)

@jBo

Go to Amazon and enter "eyeglass screws self tapping" in the search bar. Choose the best combination for your needs 🙂

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

Inst-Tech reacted
ReplyQuote
jBo
 jBo
(@jbo)
Topic starter  

Thanks, @Will! These do seem so small that they're about in the range of the ones in eyeglasses. I will check it out, probably get a kit of multiple sizes. Progress, a little bit at a time.

Also, I should mention that for anyone reading this and viewing the Thingiverse object, there is a hinged part connecting the wall mount to the box for the PIR sensor. For this, I just tried an M3 x 20 mm screw with matching regular hex nut, which I had on hand. This worked fine.

Thanks again. I'd better get to Amazon 😎 

Inst-Tech reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

I use a lot of hot glue

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
jBo
 jBo
(@jbo)
Topic starter  

@Ron - Got it. I have enough of these HC-SR501, that I think I can dedicate some to installations that are not meant to ever be disassembled. Glue gun, here we come. Thanks!

ReplyQuote