Clear all

433mhz communication wrinkle

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Foxy
(@foxy)
Topic starter  

Since my communication experience comes from the days of morse code I decided to look into the tutorial: "Using Inexpensive 433MHz Transmit and Receive Modules with Arduino" I bought a few transmit/receive modules, hooked them up to an Arduino UNO and MEGA 2560, downloaded and installed the Radiohead library, loaded the test code from the tutorial and all worked like a charm the first time!!. 

Then, in an effort to make a usable system I changed from the UNO and MEGA to a pair of NANO EVERY's.  The test code transmit and receive sketches compiled for the EVERY's with no problem but I get errors every time I try to up load to an EVERY with complaints about the Radiohead library.  So this brings up the question: 

Is there some incompatability between the Radiohead library and the NANO EVERY ?  Does anyone have an answer or comment?

I also have a slightly more general question:  The transmit and receive modules use simple amplitude shift keying (ASK).  Does this mean that if I set the "data" input to the transmitter HIGH I will get a HIGH on the "data" output of the receiver? If this is so I could send, for example, morse code without any libraries (except for the one in my head)!!

Hope someone has an answer or two or even a comment or two and thanks in advance. 

Ruplicator
(@ruplicator)

I don't believe I can respond to your first question with confidence as I have never used the EVERY NANO. But be sure to include both

#include <SPI.h> // Not actually used but needed to compile the RH_ASK library
#include <RH_ASK.h>

statements, as I'm sure you have.

As for your second question: Yes, you can control the 433mhz transmitter without the library to produce Morris code. 

ReplyQuote
 Foxy
(@foxy)
Topic starter  

@ruplicator

Yes I got it to work transmitting one's and zero's but there is one problem: transmitting a one works ok but on transmitting a zero the receiver interprets any random noise as a one.  I expect the proper communications libraries provide checks to detect errors and retransmit to correct them.

ReplyQuote
Ruplicator
(@ruplicator)

@foxy

In your previous post you had asks if the transmitter could be used to transmit Morris code. And as you indicated it will work that way just fine. However, if you are talking about the receiver that is a whole different story. The libraries ensure there are adequate mixture of ones and zeroes to ensure correct reception of data.

With Morris code, dots and dashes are used and the receiver being used by a human typically has a beat frequency oscillator to be able to different between when the carrier is present and not. I haven't checked if there is a library for the reception of Morris code but it might be worth a look, although given the limited range of frequency available the utility may be meager.

ReplyQuote
 Foxy
(@foxy)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the insight.  I have no intention to use it for morse code, just trying to learn by doing

ReplyQuote