Clear all

Workshop revamp

20 Posts
7 Users
4 Likes
(@pugwash)
Sorcerers' Apprentice

@dronebot-workshop

How about just buying the 2x2 and using a biscuit jointer (about $100) and plenty of wood glue!

Just make sure you have enough G cramps (you really can't have enough of them).

I'd lend you my biscuit jointer, but for the postage involved you could get one of your own!

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)

Posted by: @dronebot-workshop

I can't find a single 2x4 for delivery on any of the major hardware store websites

I've used aluminium studs when subdividing interior non-load-bearing walls. Much lighter, and surprisingly, not that much more expensive than wood. A std 96 inch pine 2x4 stud is $5.50, while the aluminium 96 inch stud is only $6.50. Or for a bit more stability, galvanized steel is $6.50 for 120 inch. Might be worth looking into depending on your needs

I've seen Celeron-based NUCS that are already configured with some memory, an SSD, and Windows 10 installed for under 200 Canadian dollars (which is about 150 USD).

I started poking about for one of those NUCs, and so far the best deal I found was on NewEgg. An i7 with no RAM or HDD (or obviously OS, having no place to load it) for $139USD. I wonder if the price difference between what you saw and what I found is due to the i5 vs i7 models ?

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

@pugwash

Yes, I was thinking of along those lines. I'll certainly have to improvise something.  The biscuit joiner sounds like a good plan, I don't mind spending a hundred bucks on a new tool.  Thanks for the tip.

I CAN still get 2 x 12's, which I suppose could be ripped into 2x4s.  Not something I really fancy doing, especially as I don't own a table saw. As I'm isolated at home I'm at the mercy of what I can have delivered.

Posted by: @spyder

I started poking about for one of those NUCs, and so far the best deal I found was on NewEgg. An i7 with no RAM or HDD (or obviously OS, having no place to load it) for $139USD. I wonder if the price difference between what you saw and what I found is due to the i5 vs i7 models ?

They have all sorts of processors, that deal at Newegg sounds great. I looked at Newegg here (in Canada) while shopping for it, but ended up buying it at Amazon, along with the SSD and memory.  When looking at the I7 and I5's you need to keep in mind that they make NUCS with generation 8, 9, and 10 processors, so there are a wide variety of these to choose from

I've used aluminium studs when subdividing interior non-load-bearing walls. Much lighter, and surprisingly, not that much more expensive than wood. A std 96 inch pine 2x4 stud is $5.50, while the aluminium 96 inch stud is only $6.50. Or for a bit more stability, galvanized steel is $6.50 for 120 inch. Might be worth looking into depending on your needs

Those were really popular in new construction when I lived in Hawaii, haven't seen many of them around here. The wall will need to support three long (8-foot) shelves, and it's a "floating wall" for the soundproofing. I've only seen these built with wood but it's possible aluminum would work, I'll need to investigate. Not sure what the acoustic properties of aluminum are, or how well green glue sticks to it.

😎

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title
Topic starter  
Posted by: @robo-pi

I cut them using a plasma cutter

I've not delved into metal working but that sounds a bit star wars.  Boldly go ... etc 😀.  But come-on, who needs metal, just do your sprockets and chain in wood! 

I've found a cupholder for you

That a good solution though 

As for your cup of tea, I have a small table that is on wheels

Thats an even better one, which would have room for cuppa tea and some cake (if I can sneak it passed the wife who is endeavouring to reduce my girth 🤨 )

I've been perusing the intel nu offerings and I see what you mean about the neat design.  Most of my old PC,s, all but one transitioned to linux, are behemoths.  A small shelf could contain a row of them (well 2 or 3) and not take up much space.  Before I commit though I will wait to see if some of Bills upcoming videos has further wallet busting temptations. 🤔 

ReplyQuote
Robo Pi
(@robo-pi)
Robotics Engineer

Posted by: @byron

I've not delved into metal working but that sounds a bit star wars.  Boldly go ... etc 😀.  But come-on, who needs metal, just do your sprockets and chain in wood! 

I actually toyed with the idea of making wooden gears.  That would probably work for the indoor robot chassis actually.   But one of the chassis will be for outdoors possibly even doing some dirty work like gardening.  So I figured a metal chain would probably be a better foundation to use for the drive system.

DroneBot Workshop Robotics Engineer
James

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2