Notifications
Clear all

Want better range when using ESP-32 with BLE or Access Point

6 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@tedbear)
Topic starter  

I have an ESP-32 Dev board setup in Access Point mode to control two door openers on an older shed on my farm.   I have another ESP-32 Dev board setup as BLE to control a door opener and lights in my farm shop.  I used Remote XY to create the custom apps for my iPhone, iPad and Android tablet.  These work fine but the range is limited.  I have also purchased an ESP-32 Cam board which has the provision for an external antenna but haven't worked with it yet.  An external antenna should improve my range in Access Point mode.  Will it help the range in BLE mode?  Are there ESP-32 Dev boards that have the external antenna option without the camera?  The ESP-32 was cheap enough that I don't need the camera but I do need at least 6 GPIOs for the old shed situation.

(@videogame95)

I have ESp32 wroom  what is a dev kit or modular what's my version what one do I pick in the IDE dope down menu.

How do I start fresh wipe my Esp32 wroom?

I've having trouble connecting ESp32 on PC to get the MAC address it's not showing in the saxis programme,.

But it show up as xbox controller.  it work fine on my ps3 station machine. 

Any help please 

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

Posted by: @videogame95

I have ESp32 wroom  what is a dev kit or modular what's my version what one do I pick in the IDE dope down menu.

How do I start fresh wipe my Esp32 wroom?

I've having trouble connecting ESp32 on PC to get the MAC address it's not showing in the saxis programme,.

But it show up as xbox controller.  it work fine on my ps3 station machine. 

Any help please 

As far as the esp32 wroom, it is a DevKit. Just type in DOIT and use that, or via the Tools menu goto  Board etc and the top 4 are all generic esp32, one for each model and your model is the lowest on the list.

To 'wipe' the board, create an empty sketch and upload it.

Can't answer the rest of your questions.

Screenshot 2024 02 27 at 10.14.29
Screenshot 2024 02 27 at 10.15.00

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@videogame95 Why did you jump on someone else Topic? Your topic is new, read the help (over to the right) and in the future post accordingly.

Screenshot 2024 02 27 at 10.22.55

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@tedbear)
Topic starter  

I got a message that a new reply was posted to my original post from 2021.  I have since found a Dev board that contains an ESP 32 and four relays.  The board has an external antenna and can be powered by 12VDC. The board handles the various voltage levels and opto-isolators to the relays. This fit my situation nicely since I needed four relays, an external antenna for range and could use a 110VAC to 12VDC adapter.  I have the ESP setup in Access Point mode since I do not have internet availability around my sheds.  I used the RemoteXY website to create the screen layout.

The ESP32 board is housed in a plastic electrical box outside the shed.  The antenna runs out the bottom of the enclosure.  A piece of PVC pipe goes through the shed wall.  This pipe carries the power and ground in to the ESP32 board and the outputs from the relays into the shed where they attach to the original 3 button switch and latching light relay. This means I can control the door and lights from the phone or from actual switches inside the building.  As I approach the building, I need to check my settings to determine if my phone has "latched" on to the proper WiFi network.  If not I manually change it and then go to the RemoteXY App on my phone. Once I choose the proper item, communication is established and the screen layout is transferred to the phone so that I can use it.

Shed Box

Shop XY

This works very well.

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by tedbear

huckOhio reacted
ReplyQuote
(@videogame95)

@zander Thank you

ReplyQuote