Clear all

Using FTDI module with ESP32CAM

8 Posts
5 Users
2 Likes
Russ Terry
(@russ-terry)
Topic starter  

I have started trying to replicate the ESP32CAM project (May 2020 video). I am having a problem connecting the FTDI module to my computer. The module was purchased from Amazon and is pictured here. The problem is that the USB socket does not fit any USB plug I have (mini, micro or C). As seen in the picture, it has pins rather than contacts on a surface. What USB cable do I have to get to fit?

FTDI USB socket
FTDI module

huckOhio
(@huckohio)

I think that is a USB MiniB or sometimes called a USB TypeB connector.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@russ-terry That is a USB Mini, I can see them on Amazon. Make sure that jumper on the opposite end is set for the correct logic voltage, 3.3V? There is an issue or two with that version of the camera software, when it fails, give me a shout and I will walk you through the fix.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Russ Terry
(@russ-terry)
Topic starter  

I have a usb mini cable. It fits quite nicely in the usb socket on the ESP32 module, but not the FTDI. If you compare the socket in the picture against a USB mini, you can see the shape is different, It almost looks like a mini HDMI. the USB plug will not fit in.

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@russ-terry,m et, al...

Posted by: @russ-terry

I have a usb mini cable. It fits quite nicely in the usb socket on the ESP32 module, but not the FTDI. If you compare the socket in the picture against a USB mini, you can see the shape is different, It almost looks like a mini HDMI. the USB plug will not fit in.

According to the following link, it is a "USB Mini B" interface:

usb-connector-type-guide

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Russ Terry
(@russ-terry)
Topic starter  

@frogandtoad Here is a photo of the FTDI (on the right) and an ESP32 board (on the left). Notice the different size and shape of the USB sockets. The one on the ESP board is a mini USB, and I canplug into it with a mini USB plug. With the FTDI socket, I cannot. 

mir 20220623 160302

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@russ-terry 

The connector on the left is a MICRO not a MINI USB.

https://www.memorysuppliers.com/blogs/memory-suppliers-blog/guide-to-the-differences-between-mini-usb-micro-usb-and-usb-c

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ Terry
(@russ-terry)
Topic starter  

@will After beating my head on the wall for a while, going back and reading more, everyones advice finally trickled through. I had been under the illusion that the plug on my Galaxy J7 was a mini. Sure enough the spec says micro. Then, digging through the cable bin, my wonderful resourceful wife found a mini, which fits perfectly. Thank you all for your patience with me.

frogandtoad reacted
ReplyQuote