80 Posts
4 Users
6 Likes
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

if i plug my gps device into my computer via usb and open serial monitor i get a constant signal dump

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

Posted by: @madmike970

ok got one to compile and upload... now no serial monitor output at all, no led blinks, gps device is blinking..

Unplug the USB cord from your computer

Close the serial monitor and shut down the IDE on your computer

Unplug your uController from the computer

now ..

Plug the uController back into the computer

Start the IDE and make sure it sees the right port for the uController

Load your sketch into the IDE

Click the button to recompile your sketch to make sure it's not damaged

Click the button to start the Serial monitor

Compile and upload your sketch to the uController and

Test running it again

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

ok took all of the above steps.. now i have a blinking blue led on the board and gps light is also blinking and this from serial monitor:

14:58:34.586 ->
14:58:34.586 -> ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:4, boot mode:(3,7)
14:58:34.586 ->
14:58:34.586 -> wdt reset
14:58:34.586 -> load 0x4010f000, len 3460, room 16
14:58:34.586 -> tail 4
14:58:34.586 -> chksum 0xcc
14:58:34.586 -> load 0x3fff20b8, len 40, room 4
14:58:34.586 -> tail 4
14:58:34.586 -> chksum 0xc9
14:58:34.586 -> csum 0xc9
14:58:34.586 -> v000448c0
14:58:34.620 -> ~ld

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@madmike970 You need to declare displayinfo. I suspect you inadvertantly commented it out. Just use Find to locate it and make sure it is not commented out.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 What you call nonsense is how you explain to the device what you want done. You have to follow the rules or it won't play with you. 

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 Great. Now start adding debug serial.println's to check what the sketch is doing and when that shows you what is wrong, fix it and done!

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 Is there a question?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 WHAT? That can't be done as far as I know. Why are you not debugging?

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

ok... my skill level in this subject is WAY below what you are assuming.... last 2 messages from you to me ron were like charlie browns teacher.... wah wa wuh wuh wah....  what do i need to do to be "debugging"

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 Ok, I think I showed you that last night, It's what I get too. I assumed it was because I had no gps to attach. I am just firing up a debug version of the code, something doesn't make sense to me. It takes a few tries for this sketch to upload for some reason, I will post back once it does with results.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 Yes, me too, no idea where that is coming from. I am just now getting the debug version up. gimme a sec. Wow, I never see any of the debug prints. See pic for setup. No idea what is happening.

Screen Shot 2022 04 10 at 15.04.28

Screen Shot 2022 04 10 at 15.02.46

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 I don't know what to say. Contrary to popular belief most programmers spend more time debugging than they do programming. Either this sketch is not the sketch that Bill used, or the board I am using is not the right board.The messages being produced are foreign to me, has @will seen this sort of message before, it sounds like technical jargon, I see chksum, tail etc but no idea who is producing it.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 The setup function is NEVER entered, that is a major problem. So I switched boards to what the random nerds recommend, a DOIT ESP32. It will not even compile, missing SoftwareSerial. I am totally stumped at this point.

Tried another ESP32 board and same error. Something doesn't make sense. Maybe tomorrow when I have some time I will watch Bill's video to see what I can learn.

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

mioght have to use the esp8266 softwareserial library???? i dunno dude. hopefully i will learn something from this... if not i hope i end up with a working collar at least lol

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6