Notifications
Clear all

tried to copy/paste the gps logger code over to an esp12-e an 8266 no luck

80 Posts
4 Users
6 Likes
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

sorry im not very good at this forum and gadget stuff... i get like 2 hr a day tops to get on the computer because im a knuckle dragger... my nano is not taking uploads whatsoever anymore.... no clue why... about to hook a gps monitor and sd card reader up to an esp-12e and see how that goes.

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

after this i still get the same output from the serial monitor

esp12eserial

im hooked up to all the same pins as before.... and im getting a blinking light from my gps device which means it is getting signals, then when i take my sd card out and try to read it there is no file on it

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@madmike970 Well it could take a while for the gps to get a lock. Also if you don't do an orderly shutdown on the card not only will there be no date, it can corrupt the card. I would put the led code back in (remove the // you added) and I would comment out the cf card code and instead focus on getting gps messages out. There is something not making sense.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

i did go back to the raw dronebot version of the code

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 Ok, so we can see from that plus the serial output the cf card neither initialized nor failed so something there needs to be fixed, but that is minor. comment out all the code to do with the cf card and see what you get.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 What we are doing here is called divide and conquer. remove sections of the code so you are dealing with smaller pieces. as each one works add in another section.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 I am running it now and get same as you becasue I have no GPS. I will comment out line 53 and see what happens

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 I am having trouble uploading the new sketch. Not sure why. What I want to prove is that the messages you are seeing on the serial monitor are from the gps start up and you never get to the cf card initialize. If thats true then we need to examine the gps wiring very carefully. Maybe tomorrow, but for now I need to go to bed.

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

so i try to upload this.. i think its commenting out all the sd functions...and i get this error message from compiler

C:\Users\VanillaGuerilla\Documents\Arduino\raw_dronebotgpsnosd\raw_dronebotgpsnosd.ino: In function 'void loop()':
raw_dronebotgpsnosd:90:11: error: 'displayInfo' was not declared in this scope
   90 |       if (displayInfo() != "0")
      |           ^~~~~~~~~~~
C:\Users\VanillaGuerilla\Documents\Arduino\raw_dronebotgpsnosd\raw_dronebotgpsnosd.ino: At global scope:
raw_dronebotgpsnosd:131:1: error: expected declaration before '}' token
  131 | }
      | ^
exit status 1
'displayInfo' was not declared in this scope

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

Posted by: @madmike970

'displayInfo' was not declared in this scope 

When you "comment out the sd functions" you do have to ensure that you maintain the nesting of the code. That is, if you comment out a statement wistarting with a  "if" statement that contains a "{" at the end, then you MUST ensure sure that the corresponding closing "}" is also commented out.

Because of your unbalanced quotes, the definition of the sub is not recognized as it appears to be inside another group of code.

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

damn.... why the hell can't i just explain to the device what i want it to do??? why all this {} if then nonsense lol. do you see my problem by chance??? im looking but.... uh ya..

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

Posted by: @madmike970

damn.... why the hell can't i just explain to the device what i want it to do???

You can, it's called programming

why all this {} if then nonsense lol. do you see my problem by chance??? im looking but.... uh ya..

I gave you a very strong hint, but you won't learn unless you do the work. Programming is straightforward usually, but you have to follow the rules that the language and compiler specify. No exceptions, and the best way to learn is to dig in and root out the error.

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

ok got one to compile and upload... now no serial monitor output at all, no led blinks, gps device is blinking..

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 6