tried to copy/paste the gps logger code over to an esp12-e an 8266 no luck

80 Posts
4 Users
6 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@madmike970 Time to start over. Get a fresh copy of the code from the DroneBot Workshop Blog. Connect the Led and the SD and GPS then run it. Maybe first on the UNO so you are sure it is working, then move the wires pin by pin to the same named pins on the NANO. Now go into the Boards Manager and change UNO to NANO. Upload it and it should work. Let us know how it went.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

Theres not enough memory on the nano.... tried a few different librearies to no success

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

because theres only like 30k available on the nano

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@madmike970 

Can you remember if the error message said how much more memory was required ?

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 Nano and UNO have identical memory. You can't try libraries, your code needs a certain library. If multiple libraries match it's irrelevant, only the stuff needed by your sketch goes onto the board.

Just do as I said earlier and it will work identically to the UNO.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 Here is a picture. Now I am going to help people who listen.

Screen Shot 2022 04 08 at 17.37.09

ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

thats cute.... but im telling you when i try to upload the code it says there is 30k avail andtheres not enough room.,.. its not an actual arduino its a knockoff

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@madmike970 

A NANO using the old boot loader is about 512 bytes short of the storage capability of an Uno. You can load the Uno boot loader into a NANO and reclaim that space if you want to.

Watch the video ...

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 I copied your sketch, uploaded onto my UNO, here is the compile stats and the upload stats. Nowhere near 30k, less than 20k. The first screen print is from the serial monitor and is from line 57 since I do not have the SD card connected. The compiler says 19,676 bytes (60%) then the loader in about the middle of that screen print says 19,676 bytes of flash written. The 3rd last line says 19,676 bytes of flash verified. Then the sketch tries to run but I didn't have anything wired up. Now you should do the same thing I did so you can show us your results first on the UNO, then on the NANO. Don't connect anything, just a bare board. I don't have a NANO so can't try it.

Screen Shot 2022 04 08 at 18.42.54
Screen Shot 2022 04 08 at 18.40.01
Screen Shot 2022 04 08 at 18.45.09

ReplyQuote
ron bentley
(@ronbentley1)

Posted by: @madmike970

wasnt sure about the LED's being compatible so i just disabled all the led blinks. i get this from the serial monitor after i upload to esp12-e:

ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:4, boot mode:(3,6)

wdt reset
load 0x4010f000, len 3460, room 16 
tail 4
chksum 0xcc
load 0x3fff20b8, len 40, room 4 
tail 4
chksum 0xc9
csum 0xc9
v0004c730
~ld

gps pins:

rx-d4

tx-d3

sd pins:

cs-d8

sck-d5

mosi-d7

miso-d6.

Hi,

just came across your post. Whilst I am not versed in your project, what you posted here struck a chord with me.  I am new to ESP 32 boards and for a while I got gibberish at the start of the display whenever I downloaded a sketch using the serial monitor.  My sketch displayed text ok after this gibberish.  Eventually, I set my serial monitor interface to 115200 baud and what did I find? That gibberish was actually the ESP32 reporting its firmware stats/status/etc, eg:

ets Jun 8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:DIO, clock div:1
load:0x3fff0030,len:1184
load:0x40078000,len:12804
ho 0 tail 12 room 4
load:0x40080400,len:3032
entry 0x400805e4

Its not the same as your post but it starts the same.  I can only think that your board is reporting its firmware stats/status/etc albeit it being different because its older than my board and not same manufacturer?

Anyway, hope that helps?

Ron B

Ron Bentley
Creativity is an input to innovation and change is the output from innovation. Braden Kelley
A computer is a machine for constructing mappings from input to output. Michael Kirby
Through great input you get great output. RZA
Gauss is great but Euler rocks!!

Inst-Tech reacted
ReplyQuote
(@madmike970)
Topic starter  

so now i cant upload to my nanop for some reason.... my original question is trying to get this to run on an esp8266 or esp-12e.... any help on that front?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 It's hard to help when the problem is so generic. A screen print is the preferred method of showing the rest of us what is happening. What sketch do you want to do, and on what board.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 Ok, I found your sketch in a post earlier. I grabbed it and compiled it. I don't have an ESP12-E but I do have an ESP8266

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 Ok, I uploaded the sketch onto the ESP8266. Screen print attached. Do you know to hold down the Flash button when the message comes up about writing? So to answer your question, the sketch compiles, loads all using the standard procedures. I can't wire the board up, I don't have one of those GPS modules, I have a different kind.

Screen Shot 2022 04 09 at 19.45.30

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmike970 Almost forgot, here is what I see on the serial monitor

Screen Shot 2022 04 09 at 20.02.51

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 6