Notifications
Clear all

Stablity of ESP32

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@jfabernathy)
Topic starter  

I'm trying to choose which WiFi MCU to use for a project that samples environmental data and post it to NodeRed via MQTT.  I've been experimenting with an Adafruit Metro ESP32-S2 which is beta and has limited Arduino support at this time and the CIrcuitPython is not quite where it needs to be for my project.

So I'm looking for something that works reliably now.  The ESP32 seems to be older with lots of boards and Arduino IDE support.  I'm just wonder how well it works for application where WiFi, and battery operation, with deep sleep is involved?

Adafruit still has their ESP32 Huzzah listed as for developers at this time. Not sure what that means, but stability would be in question.

Thoughts?

If your code won't compile, have another glass of bourbon. Eventual the problem will be solved.

(@jfabernathy)
Topic starter  

Here's what I found out.  I have both ESP32-S2 Metro and ESP32 Feather Huzzah from Adafruit. I tried to do my remote temperature and humidity sensors via wifi using Circuit Python on the ESP32-S2.  It works but I discovered some major issues that kept me from completing the project with the Metro ESP32-S2. My issues were related to Deep Sleep and the system just stopping transmitting after several hours with no indication of why. This code is all in Circuit Python because the ESP32-S2 has major issues with Arduino also.  Everything is too much in the development stage.

So I moved on to the ESP32 Feather Huzzah.  It is solid in my mind.  Deep Sleep works, the libraries are very mature.  I could use MQTT which was a big desire. Circuit Python does not really work on the Huzzah.  But Arduino support is very good for what I needed.

If your code won't compile, have another glass of bourbon. Eventual the problem will be solved.

ReplyQuote