Notifications
Clear all

Mounting the ESP-32 cam

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@ezward)
Topic starter  

I'm using the ESP32 cam (AI-Thinker) module with a DIY Robot Smart Car chassis (like this).  I think the ESP32 cam can be a great controller for an inexpensive robot; allowing remote control from a distance.  The issue I am having is mounting the ESP32 cam; it's really unfriendly in that regard.  My first attempt was to plug it into a mini-solderless breadboard and mount that on a small cardboard box, which is then mounted on the chassis; as a physical system it worked great and left open part of the breadboard for power routing.  However, plugging the ESP-32 cam into a breadboard destroys wifi range.  For instance, the board gets almost 30fps streaming 160x120 pixels when -not- in the breadboard.  It gets only about 1 (one) fps when plugged into a solderless breadboard.  I've mounted it in the breadboard so the internal antenna is hung off the side of the breadboard as far as it can go; it seems to be completely unblocked; however, it does not matter.  I'm trying to create a project that requires zero soldering (so it can be used in a classroom), so moving the resistor to activate the external antenna is out.

So, how are folks out there mounting the ESP32 cam in their projects? 

codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@ezward

I've no experience with mounting an ESP32 camera, but you mentioned that you were trying to make a solder less project, so I was wondering how did you assemble the chassis without some soldering.

SteveG

ReplyQuote
(@ezward)
Topic starter  

@codecage In most versions you need to solder a leads onto the two motors, but you can get motors with leads presoldered.  I'm using a L9110S as the motor driver; it has female header pins for power and pwm and screw terminals to distribute power to the motors.  The ESP32 Cam itself has female header pins.  The IR optocouplers have female pins.  You can use a solderless breadboard power supply for 5v/3.3v and a solderless breadboard to route the power.

ReplyQuote
(@ezward)
Topic starter  

Oops, I meant they have male header pins; use a female jumper.  (I wish I could edit these posts after they have been moderated!)

ReplyQuote