19 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie
Topic starter  

PLEASE do not try to help if you are not a Mac user.

I am trying to get the ESP32-CAM demo app working but it will not connect to flash. I have tried several boards, several FTDI's, even a new driver. I ordered a USB adaptor to eliminate the FTFDI but that is a few days out. Any ideas? If you are working, where did you get our driver? I have a newish M1 so maybe that is an issue, and I am not sure if the driver even installed, when I do 'ls /dev/tty*' I don't see it so I am pretty sure the install isn't happening. I tried re-installing. I am pretty sure there was a cryptic security related msg on the first install and I assumed it meant ..... and did that, but maybe it didn't.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

Posted by: @zander

PLEASE do not try to help if you are not a Mac user.

I am trying to get the ESP32-CAM demo app working but it will not connect to flash. I have tried several boards, several FTDI's, even a new driver. I ordered a USB adaptor to eliminate the FTFDI but that is a few days out. Any ideas? If you are working, where did you get our driver? I have a newish M1 so maybe that is an issue, and I am not sure if the driver even installed, when I do 'ls /dev/tty*' I don't see it so I am pretty sure the install isn't happening. I tried re-installing. I am pretty sure there was a cryptic security related msg on the first install and I assumed it meant ..... and did that, but maybe it didn't.

I'm not a MAC user, but I can still ask you if you have you turned up your compiler warnings to All, and Full verbose output in your Arduino preferences?

Cheers.

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Topic starter  

@frogandtoad Yes, I have been doing that my entire career. One of my major awards was for changing the shop standard to I level because one I error fixed resulted in a 50% reduction of I/O in the production code. Saved a few million with that one simple compiler change.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Topic starter  

@frogandtoad BTW, it's sample code, it gets as far as the the connecting msg but with GOPIO0 jumped to G and the reset pin held it just times out. Very weird, I am sure it worked the night before.

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander

@frogandtoad Yes, I have been doing that my entire career. One of my major awards was for changing the shop standard to I level because one I error fixed resulted in a 50% reduction of I/O in the production code. Saved a few million with that one simple compiler change.

So, with all that turned up to '11'... you received no valuable feedback?

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@zander 

What do you get when you do Tools>Get board info ? Does it correctly identify the board ?

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Topic starter  

@frogandtoad Not sure what '11' means

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander

@frogandtoad Not sure what '11' means

LOL - Never watched spinal tap?

Goodnight

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Topic starter  

@will Yep, there is only one entry for ESP32-CAM, it's the AI-THINKER and thyat is exactly the label on mine.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@will Yep, there is only one entry for ESP32-CAM, it's the AI-THINKER and thyat is exactly the label on mine.

Good, so it sees and correctly identifies the board.

Are you getting an avrdude "Not in sync" error message ?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Topic starter  

@frogandtoad No, I don't watch medical procedures.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Topic starter  

@will I haven't seen it. I think this is the first time I have connected this M1 Mac to the board, I did that because the sketch on the board had different WiFi creds and I needed to update them (next task is to implement Bills latest video) The sketch runs and tells me the IP but I don't know which SSID I was using at the time.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@zander 

Well, the wifi part is beyond me.

This is why I've never started playing with the ESP, it seems to be such an arbitrary and contentious piece of equipment. I'd rather use something that connects immediately without having to press a button or ground something or sacrifice a chicken to connect it to my computer 🙂

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Topic starter  

@will That's what I forgot, the chicken. But seriously, the more modern ESP boards connect with normal USB just like arduino's so not that different. I like the ability to get closer to the metal, my background started on IBM 14xx hardware and then operating system system support so I like the ability to play with the scheduler and so on.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@zander 

I'm really, really lazy. I bought a computer to take care of the details for me, Decide on the general direction and supply the data needed but its jobs to keep it all safe and neat for me 🙂

I find the Arduino to be generally plug'n'play and Ireally appreciate that.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2