96 Posts
8 Users
23 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@byron It is I2C

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

Posted by: @zander

It is I2C

you are a pedant 😀 

This post was modified 2 years ago by byron

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @zander

@inq I could maybe look this up, but why not get the answer from the author.

I have a BME280 which as you likely know does Hum/Temp/Pres. The pins are labelled a little different, but my magic decoder thinks it goes like this.

BME280 to ESP8266

Vin to 3.3V

G to G

SCK to D1

SDO to D2

Does that make sense?

That's a loaded question... The BME280 can be used with I2C or SPI protocols.  So you have to choose the right library and configure it accordingly to how you wire it.  BMP/BME break-out boards vary greatly.  Some have different number of pins 4 to 7 pins.  

The four pins ones I used in the past have VIN, GND, SCL, SDA which is for I2C and they go to D1 = SCL and D2 = SDA.  I "think" SCK and SDO are SPI interface... Those are pins on the other side of the board.

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...
Even usable on ESP-01S - Quickest Start Guide

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)
Topic starter  

When I got parts for my students doing the weather station, I wanted to use BME since they do humidity, pressure and temperature.  This time around they're expensive... over $14 in 10pcs quantities.

I got the BMP280 and AHT10 for a $1 and $1.70.

Point... don't let the smoke out.

3 lines of code = InqPortal = Complete IoT, App, Web Server w/ GUI Admin Client, WiFi Manager, Drag & Drop File Manager, OTA, Performance Metrics, Web Socket Comms, Easy App API, All running on ESP8266...

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@inq You and @will will be a good pair for finding the least expensive solution. Unfortunately I seem to always find the opposite.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@zander 

Thanks (I think 🙂

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@inq The only remainig pins are CS and SDI. CS is chip select and SDI is to send data TO the BME280 so that leaves Clock which on the 280 is SCK and Data Out which is SDO. Once I resolve the boards problem I will wire this up.

ReplyQuote
Inq
 Inq
(@inq)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @will

@zander 

Thanks (I think 🙂

I'm not sure... I think we're being accused of being tight-wads.  😉 

I used to buy from China direct and wait a month (or two).  I still have fifty or so ESP-01S becoming fine-wine, I got for about $0.79 each.  Now... Amazon 2 day rules!  At my age, I might forget what I bought them for if I buy from China.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

Posted by: @inq

I'm not sure... I think we're being accused of being tight-wads.  😉 

Oh ... I'm sure 🙂

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@inq I know what you mean, it is not uncommon to get a surprise at the post office for me.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@inq Now that my computer is working again, I want to get this weather station going. In my board selector it has NodeMCU8266 0.9 (ESP-12 Module) and NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module). My board has no info like that, all I can see is 8266MOD. What do you think I should pick?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@inq I am stumped. For a first time test I am using the Adafruit test sketch for the BME280. I have no idea what pins to use on the ESP8266. I am guessing the clock pins go together (SCK to CLK) but where does the SDO go? There is NO pin information in the sketch.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@zander 

https://lastminuteengineers.com/bme280-esp8266-weather-station/

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will I wired it like that and still nothing, plus now I just got another error that I am seeing for the first time. I think it's time for a drink and a break. I am getting too old for this nonsense.

Screen Shot 2022 04 14 at 16.00.24

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@zander 

Better make it a double ! That's a very mystic message; I wonder who thought it would be useful to a programmer trying to find out what's wrong ?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 7