Clear all

ESP32S3 Stopped Working

11 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

I am working on a project using ESP32S3 and a NEXTION display.  I have the HMI file completed and loaded into the display.  I wrote a small sketch to make sure I was getting data passing through Serial2.  I had some Serial.println statements in the sketch for troubleshooting and the println statements were working.  After a recent upload I noticed that all of the println statement stopped.  I now receive the following in the serial monitor after upload or a reboot.

ESP-ROM:esp32s3-20210327
Build:Mar 27 2021
rst:0x1 (POWERON),boot:0x8 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
SPIWP:0xee
mode:DIO, clock div:1
load:0x3fce3808,len:0x44c
load:0x403c9700,len:0xbec
load:0x403cc700,len:0x2920
entry 0x403c98d8

Any idea what this means?  Did my ESP32S3 crap out?

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

Posted by: @huckohio

I am working on a project using ESP32S3 and a NEXTION display.  I have the HMI file completed and loaded into the display.  I wrote a small sketch to make sure I was getting data passing through Serial2.  I had some Serial.println statements in the sketch for troubleshooting and the println statements were working.  After a recent upload I noticed that all of the println statement stopped.  I now receive the following in the serial monitor after upload or a reboot.

ESP-ROM:esp32s3-20210327
Build:Mar 27 2021
rst:0x1 (POWERON),boot:0x8 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
SPIWP:0xee
mode:DIO, clock div:1
load:0x3fce3808,len:0x44c
load:0x403c9700,len:0xbec
load:0x403cc700,len:0x2920
entry 0x403c98d8

Any idea what this means?  Did my ESP32S3 crap out?

NO, that is the normal boot data. All my esp32's put that out every time the board boots. At this point there is NO indication anything is wrong. I know you have been at this a while so must know that the serial port must be the same baud rate in both the sketch and the monitor, that is the only error I have ever seen.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

@zander Thanks Ron.  I've been working with the S3 for a while and this is the first time I've seen that.  I did verify the baud rates were the same.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio Really, just press the reset switch and you will see it again. If not then I would suspect the board is damaged. All those messages look like power on reset boot messages to me. Whatever the last change is you made to your sketch is causing the board to NOT carry on to execute the sketch.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

@zander Ron, I think my problems are in my serial port assignments.  The NEXTION libraries use Serial2 for nexSerial and Serial for dbSerial.  Can you confirm that Serial2 on the ESP32S3 are GPIO Pins 17 (TX) & 18 (Rcv)?  And Serial1 is 43 (Tx) and 44 (Rcv)?  I am assuming that Serial is the USB port that I upload my code through.  I don't seem to be getting any activity on Serial2 (nexSerial).

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio Which module is it, see pic

Screenshot 2023 01 12 at 19.10.18

ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

@zander ESP32-S3-DevKitC-1

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio I think your pins are right, but I am not sure. From a general trouble shooting point of view, the next time you post, you might tell the entire story.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio I can't see any different pinouts based on model, I thought there would be. I recall we had a fella with a similar problem, you might want to search the forum for that conversation.

ReplyQuote
huckOhio
(@huckohio)
Topic starter  

@zander Thanks Ron.  I did some additional testing today and verified that the Serial2 port is working correctly.  What I found is that when I include the Nextion.h library the serial port fails to operate.  I've isolated to a single function, but I don't have the expertise to determine why that is happening.  There are a few other libraries for the Nextion display are available that I will investigate tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@huckohio Just a guess, but I think somebody else had this issue. It maybe that the standard Serial port is used by the library. You can I think change your program use of Serial to Serial2 if Nextion is using Serial and Serial1. I see you mentioned Serial2 so maybe Nextion is using Serial1 and Serial2.

Have you tried getting some answers from the Nextion folks? I suspect this is simple and often encountered by new users so they may even have a FAQ or similar.

ReplyQuote