Clear all

ESP32 WiFi Speed - too slow

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@farzad_k)
Topic starter  

Hi.

I have finally been able to get my Heltec ESP32 microcontroller running although Arduino still doesn't show its presences on the IDE interface, and I have noticed its speed as Access Point is very low - documents indicate it to be 130Mbps on the only channel (2.4GH).

I want to use this controller as an access point to access computers that might be as remote as 50Ft, and the slow speed makes it impractical.

Does anyone have experience with this and knows if there is a way to increase the speed? Are there any other microcontrollers that offer higher speed, in the range of 300 Mbps that you know of? I can't find any online. I currently use this deviceas access point and it runs at 300 Mbps and it is satisfactory, which is why I am hoping to find a WiFi breakout board that I can integrate into an Arduino system and get that fast of a speed.

Thanks in advance.

Farzad

byron
(@byron)
No Title

Posted by: @farzad_k

I am hoping to find a WiFi breakout board that I can integrate into an Arduino system and get that fast of a speed.

As you have a wifi solution that works, and of course you could incorporate additional boards with a wifi connection into your setup (such as your ESp32) to do whatever you have in mind, what are you trying to gain by replacing your portable wifi solution with another.  Is is to seek a lower power consumption (and lower power consumption probably equates to lower wifi performance) or do you have something else in mind?  An additional ESP32 connected to your portable wifi would give you the ability for it to communicate to your PC's and run additional programs  and use an OLED display etc.  (though why not just run additional programs on the PC in that case - so I'm guessing its all to do with trying to achieve a lower power consumption)

If no-one suggests a higher performing wifi board you could investigate the use of wifi chips such as Qualcomm produce and design your own circuit board, but that seems a sea of troubles to me.

ReplyQuote
(@farzad_k)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @byron

what are you trying to gain by replacing your portable wifi solution with another

I have a 5v/1A portable access point that I am using and I am happy with. It is one of the many electronic devices that need to be there for me to do the work that I do. My goal is to integrate that feature - the WiFi access point, into another device that does something else for me. I want to shrink down the number of devices: combine two into one - if I can. If I cannot, life is still good. The WiFi I am currently using is 300Mbps on the 2.4Gh channel and I am happy with it. The ESP32 WiFi is too slow for my application.

Since I can't use the WiFi feature of ESP32, there are no reasons for me not to use an Arduino for my other project, and I have already abandoned the ESP32. I am searching, and hoping to find, a faster WiFi microcontroller that I might be able to integrate into an Arduino design.

ReplyQuote
(@farzad_k)
Topic starter  

what are you trying to gain by replacing your portable wifi solution with another

I have a 5v/1A portable access point that I am using and I am happy with. It is one of the many electronic devices that need to be there for me to do the work that I do. My goal is to integrate that feature - the WiFi access point, into another device that does something else for me. I want to shrink down the number of devices: combine two into one - if I can. If I cannot, life is still good. The WiFi I am currently using is 300Mbps on the 2.4Gh channel and I am happy with it. The ESP32 WiFi is too slow for my application.

An additional ESP32 connected to your portable wifi would give you the ability for it to communicate to your PC's and run additional programs  and use an OLED display etc.

Since I can't use the WiFi feature of ESP32, there are no reasons for me not to use an Arduino for my other project, and I have already abandoned the ESP32. I am searching, and hoping to find, a faster WiFi microcontroller that I might be able to integrate into an Arduino design.

(though why not just run additional programs on the PC in that case - so I'm guessing its all to do with trying to achieve a lower power consumption)

The devices I am trying to use cannot be programmed on a PC by a person like me and I don't want computer programming to take the place of my astronomy hobby 🙂

I am good - thanks for the input.

Farzad

ReplyQuote