ESP32 - Wifi hotspots - and RTC modules

77 Posts
5 Users
22 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@ajpatrick GREAT, I am off to bed, but maybe in the morning I can spot something, the hard part is done.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@ajpatrick GREAT, I am off to bed, but maybe in the morning I can spot something, the hard part is done.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

AJPatrick reacted
ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

Posted by: @ajpatrick

I have worked out how to get the config portal and rtc update sorted...i think. but when testing it on the device now the tickets wont print. 🙄 

Ironically, the problem may be the addition of the debugging prints to the serial monitor. On the Arduino, the serial monitor uses pins 0 and 1 to communicate with the PC. But you're using them for communicating to the thermal printer.

I don't know if the ESP uses the same pin numbers for serial communications, so I can't guarantee that this is a "fix". But it may be worth a try to comment out the Serial.begin and all of the Serial.print and Serial.println commands and try again.

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will There may be a #define trick that allows one or the other, the sketch doesn't have to print to a thermal printer to prove the rest works. Just #define and some well placed #ifdef should do it. I leave the details to the reader.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@zander 

I was thinking of just typing in "#define Serial.   //" at the top to see if that'd kill 'em.

You're familiar with the ESP, does it use pins 0 and 1 as the default for serial communication ?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will Sorry, haven't had cause to use that yet so IDK, but I have had other situations with the ESP32 and interference from the serial monitor. I would #def out ALL the serial code except for the builtin Serial monitor (and remove the wires from the printer pins). Once satisfied everythin is working, reverse that and take out all the Serial and just print.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@zander 

Hmmm. He said that he popped back the original code and that it worked. The only changes he's made have been to update the methodology for fixing the time (if it's broken) and to add the prints to the serial port.

I've followed the code and compared the pre and post sections involving the thermal printer and they're exactly the same. So, it appears that the only difference I see is that he's added prints to the serial monitor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will I have no difficulty believing there is a conflict between the Serial monitor and the printer. Reduce the test to only 2 operative lines in addition to setup, one prints and one does a Serial.println.

EDIT: Sorry Will I forgot you don't have any ESP boards. My internet today is extremely bad and is about to ruin my F1 race at noon. I will try to capture the last sketch @ajpatrick posted to see what happens but I can't guarantee I can post back in any kind of timely manner.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will @ajpatrick I need to know which library was used for the SoftwareSerial, there are multiple candidates, none actually called SoftwareSerial

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will @ajpatrick   My best guess is the Library ESPSoftwareSerial. 

Now the Thermal Printer library is wrong, I tried the AdafruitThermalPrinyterLibrary but it fails.

At this point I am just wasting my time so will wait for Mr Patrick to do the simple test of removing all the Serial code.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

Posted by: @zander

@will @ajpatrick   My best guess is the Library ESPSoftwareSerial. 

Now the Thermal Printer library is wrong, I tried the AdafruitThermalPrinyterLibrary but it fails.

At this point I am just wasting my time so will wait for Mr Patrick to do the simple test of removing all the Serial code.

It appears that only AJPatrick has the power to solve this dilemma, let's hope that AJPatrick uses that power wisely 🙂

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will He's a teacher, he knows how to wield power.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@zander 

I guess even if he can't he can always give himself a pass 🙂

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@will Good wan

ReplyQuote
(@ajpatrick)
Topic starter  

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6