Notifications
Clear all

ESP32/ESP8266 RTOS

7 Posts
5 Users
5 Likes
(@yurkshirelad)
Topic starter  

Am I right in thinking that both ESP8266s and ESP32s are flashed with RTOS by default? And that you can develop using RTOS using the Arduino IDE? For some reason, I got the impression that the Arduino IDE doesn't support RTOS programming and you need to use something else.

noweare
(@noweare)

Yes, RTOS is running on the esp32 in fact there is an example  ESP32/FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS.ino

If you've loaded the core for the esp32 you should be able to find it under the above or for me

I can get to it by exploring to a

/home/jrm/.arduino15/packages/esp32/hardware/esp32/1.0.4/libraries/ESP32/examples/FreeRTOS

Centari reacted
ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

Posted by: @yurkshirelad

Am I right in thinking that both ESP8266s and ESP32s are flashed with RTOS by default? And that you can develop using RTOS using the Arduino IDE? For some reason, I got the impression that the Arduino IDE doesn't support RTOS programming and you need to use something else.

I can't speak for ESP8266s or ESP32s, but RTOS libraries are available for Arduino micro controllers too.  Just go to your Arduino IDE library manager and type in RTOS, and you'll find that there are a number of libraries available.

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

Posted by: @yurkshirelad

Am I right in thinking that both ESP8266s and ESP32s are flashed with RTOS by default?

Yes, that is correct thinking. 😎   But you might like to peruse the youtube I link to which has an example of making programs run on the different dual cores of the ESP32 and I found it puts its RTOS into context.

Centari and YurkshireLad reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)
Topic starter  

Thanks. I haven't done any embedded programming for a long time (20+ years??) so I'm really quite excited about trying RTOS.

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)
Topic starter  

I managed to get RTOS working on my Arduino UNO using PlatformIO + vscode. Nice!

Centari reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jfabernathy)

DigiKey has a good video series on Youtube about FreeRTOS.  They are using Arduino IDE to work it.

Here's a link to the first of a bunch of them:

If your code won't compile, have another glass of bourbon. Eventual the problem will be solved.

YurkshireLad reacted
ReplyQuote