Clear all

ESP32 Debugging

5 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
Dazza
(@dazza)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone, I'm currently on a Wrover-E starter kit and wanted to use debugging.

I tried to debug though PlatformIO, that didn't work. 

Do I need a Debugging board to get this to work? 

I'm coming from PC programming background, debugging is as easy as F5 or F11

I'm not a fan of doing serial.print () *N

Any info would be helpful. 

This One, a long time I have I watched. All this life has he looked away to future, to the horizon. Never his Mind on where he was! what he was doing!
Yoda

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

I use esp boards a lot and this is the first I am hearing of any debugger stuff. I have yet to see any posts on here that are anywhere near complicated enough to need a debugger, the majority of the code is in libraries. 

Soooo keep us up to date on what you are doing since it might be a learning tool for many other folks.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

Dazza reacted
ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @dazza and Ron @zander,

I don't have any personal experience but I came across this page:

https://docs.arduino.cc/software/ide-v2/tutorials/ide-v2-debugger

From a 'real' Arduino point of view it looks like the Arduino debugger is (mainly at least) aimed at the boards with Atmel (who are now owned by Microchip) processor boards.

Of course, there may be other debugging routes.  I haven't yet spotted any following the ESP chips.

Best wishes, Dave

Dazza reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@davee That explains it then, I don't have any of those boards but one, the Nano 33 IOT. I have not used it yet, I bought it for the cloud but I gave up on the cloud a while ago. Too slow and unreliable and feature poor.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Dazza
(@dazza)
Topic starter  

Thank you all for the reply>

I believe Arduino and Pi's are superior in regards to debugging code.

It looks like the ESP models require an additional USB-JTAG device (I have no experience in JTAG) 

This is the information within the IC that I'm looking for, Run Time variable monitoring (for a start), any other Objects and values that are created. 

I searched though the YT for DBW videos and found no reference to JTAG, although I could be hidden else-where

This One, a long time I have I watched. All this life has he looked away to future, to the horizon. Never his Mind on where he was! what he was doing!
Yoda

DaveE reacted
ReplyQuote