Notifications
Clear all

ESP32 CAM

25 Posts
10 Users
1 Likes
(@cenlasoft)
Topic starter  

I bought several ESP32 CAMS (not AI Thinker), I can't get them to work. Are they a loss cause? I got an AI Thinker brand and it works. 

Thanks,

Curtis

Spyder
(@spyder)

Posted by: @cenlasoft

not AI Thinker

What brand did you buy ?

There are several options in the IDE, but not for EVERY board

I too bought some no brand boards and I couldn't get them to work either, so I just set them aside until somebody eventually writes support software for them, but, until then, just use either AI-Thinker or WROOM

ReplyQuote
(@cenlasoft)
Topic starter  

@spyder It just said ESP32-S  CAM. Thanks, that is what i'll do.

ReplyQuote
 Arlo
(@arlo)

@cenlasoft Curtis , I had the same problem with the first one I ordered from Amazon and thought it was a dud so I ordered another from a different vendor. The second one had some documentation with it and by using the IDE with AI-Thinker set at :

CPU frequency 80 MHz
Flash Frequency 40Mhz
Flash Mode QIO

I was able to load the CameraWebServer on both.

Hope this might help you getting yours to work.

Arlo.

ReplyQuote
(@cenlasoft)
Topic starter  

Thanks, I'll try.

Curtis

ReplyQuote
KIMOSUBBY
(@kimosubby)

Hi, I recently obtained two ESP32-cam units, from the same source but different manufacturer's boards, one is by an unknown maker the other 'diymore'. I too had problems to start with, eventually this worked for me on both boards.

uploaded the CameraWebServer sketch using

board - ESP rover module 

upload speed   11520

flash frequency  80 MHz

flash mode QIO

In the sketch select CAMERA_MODEL_AI_THINKER

AND I had to attach the aerial which meant de-soldering the bridge 0 resistor and re-soldering it to the antenna pad.

I also had to clean the camera contacts strip with rubbing alcohol and then re connect it.

The code uploads quite slowly, but gets there. 

The first runs on the rst button were just giving ". . . . . . . ." on the monitor, hence the need to add the antenna to get WiFi signal, then after that bingo, up popped the IP address. Both these boards give superb resolution and clarity on the main computer monitor. 

I had already hunted for A1 THINKER ESP32 cam boards, and ordered them, thinking these first ones defunct, or no longer supported. Now I'll have plenty having ordered 3 more!  Next job is to set an ESP32 as the network host and work off that in the field to monitor more than one cam at a time.

Aye, Kim

ReplyQuote
(@kelikaku)

Just ordered a few of these. The first one didn't come with the FTDI module, so I'm ordering one of those too. 

Question: do I need a male-to-male USB wire to connect this? Will it work with a regular USB-2.0 mini connection, that old mobile phones still use?

Thanks in advance!  BS'D.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S49STW4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

In reply to @kelikaku Question: do I need a male-to-male USB wire to connect this? Will it work with a regular USB-2.0 mini connection, that old mobile phones still use?

My only experience has been trawling the adverts to find an adapter, and buying one. (And the 'document' you shared below your question is only showing a blank box, so I can't use that to help my reply.)

From my limited searching, I concluded that some adapters used different connectors, so it depends which one you ordered. Mine has 'full-size' Male USB A plug, so I bought a USB 'extension lead' of Male USB A plug to Female USB Socket.

However, I note other adapters are advertised with female Mini-USB, as you mention ... and I suspect there may be yet more variations on the market. So the first point is to check what you ordered.

The other point is that whilst I suspect some phones have used the mini-USB socket, all of the ones I have used have been the micro-USB, which is roughly the same width but slimmer. (And of course newer upmarket phones are adopting USB-C.) Apologies if this distinction is obvious to you, but they are so similar in size it wasn't obvious to me that two styles existed .. until I tried to use the wrong one....

Good luck with your project when all the parts arrive.

ReplyQuote
(@kelikaku)

Posted by: @cenlasoft

I bought several ESP32 CAMS (not AI Thinker), I can't get them to work. Are they a loss cause? I got an AI Thinker brand and it works. 

Thanks,

Curtis

I just ordered four (one three pack, one from a separate vendor); only two were functional - from the three pack. One from the three pack had damaged pins, and the one from the separate vendor was programmable, but could not process images. 

That's a 50% failure rate. If you only have one to work with, it might easily need to be replaced. I'd contact the vendor and ask for a replacement.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with it. 

Keep up the good work. בס״ד

ReplyQuote
(@cenlasoft)
Topic starter  

@kelikakuThanks for your help. I tried everything, I think i'll stay with AI Thinker, it works. I only ordered two that doesn't work.

Thanks,

Curtis

ReplyQuote
(@kelikaku)

@davee

I haven't figured out how to add an image to my post, yet.

Can you see this?

1) https://postimg.cc/K32fY4NM

or this?

2)

ReplyQuote
(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

@kelikaku There are instructions for doing this, you could try reading them!

And you can use the Preview button to see if you were successful.

😎

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
(@kelikaku)

@dronebot-workshop

2021 05 27 020741 Screenshot

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

@kelikaku Yes I can see both the image and can download the image from the 'postimg' website, from your 6:13 post. And a further three copies from your last post!

Sorry, but your photo doesn't show anything new .. I am not sure I can add much .. It looks like either mini or micro, but from above the mini and micro sockets look rather similar.... it is necessary to look at the 'hole' that the plug goes into, Note the mini one has 'pinched in sides'. Hopefully these pictures illustrate the difference... they roughly the same size.

mini-USB 

micro-USB

ReplyQuote
(@buscaglia)

Hi,

I need to connect ESP32-CAM with Lora SX1262 (E22-900M22S).

Connection with ESP is as in the figure, but I do not know how to connect as ESP32CAM has a small number of pins.  How can I make the connection? Would you help me, please? 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2