Notifications
Clear all

esp32 boards installation in Arduino IDE 1.18.16

13 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
(@djc6159)
Topic starter  

Stumped! Following dronebot's 'getting started with ESP32' but unable to get esp32 boards into board manager......
is https://raw.githubusercontent.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/gh-pages/package_esp32_index.json
json file still valid? Any suggestions gratefully received. Cheers. DJC

(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

Here is the JSON string from the Unofficial List of Arduino IDE Board Managers (which is a good resource to bookmark)

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/gh-pages/package_esp32_index.json

It seems to be matching what you listed, have you tried pasting it as unformatted text (i.e. CTRL-SHIFT-V or Command-SHIFT-V on Mac) ?

😎

Bill

This post was modified 1 year ago by DroneBot Workshop

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@djc6159 This is what I have and it works. The attached screen grab is where it goes.

Screenshot 2023 03 07 at 06.47.56
Screenshot 2023 03 07 at 06.48.16

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@djc6159)
Topic starter  

@dronebot-workshop Hi Bill, dunno what went pear-shaped there, your suggestion worked,
many thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Cheers, David.

ReplyQuote
(@djc6159)
Topic starter  

@zander Hi there,

thanks for your help, very much appreciated, and it works! However, still struggling to get communication with ESP32 DEVKIT V1....think it's to do with connecting to COM ports, but get this message, wondering what 'status2'
is? Have installed python, suspecting I need other files, and also Arduino 2.0.4, but problem persists, any clues?

"Sketch uses 235905 bytes (17%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1310720 bytes.
Global variables use 22056 bytes (6%) of dynamic memory, leaving 305624 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 327680 bytes.
esptool.py v4.5.1
Serial port COM1
Connecting......................................

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: No serial data received.
For troubleshooting steps visit: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esptool/en/latest/troubleshooting.html
Failed uploading: uploading error: exit status 2"

Any clues would be most helpful. Have tried a number of development board types to see if it matches my ESP32-WROOM-32 on a ESP32 DEVKIT V1 development board.

Cheers, David.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@djc6159 Are you holding down the BOOT button (the one on the right of the USB connector when it is down) when you see the Connecting message?

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@djc6159 Python?

Error msgs are in red, we don't normally need to see the other messages. If I see one of those failed to connect, I always try it again, if it still fails, quit the IDE and try again. It isn't 100% reliable so you need to be patient and try it 2 or 3 times. Some drivers require that you hold down the BOOT button, and some do not, so hold it anyway until you know for sure it isn't needed.

ReplyQuote
(@djc6159)
Topic starter  

@zander Hi Ron, thanks for getting back so quickly! Yes, tried both a single hit as "connecting.... " running, and holding down constantly throughout the upload. Will try switching COM ports next, though all seem to work satisfactorily on other boards (Uno, NANO, & Attinys) & devices.
  I'm assuming the device itself is working as it's outputting a WiFi signal. This development board has a CP2102
USB bridge IC rather than the Arduino boards CH340G, I wonder if that's significant?

Cheers, David.

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @djc6159 ,

This development board has a CP2102
USB bridge IC rather than the Arduino boards CH340G, I wonder if that's significant?

If you are running Windows, look in Device Manager for the relevant USB connection ... particularly for a USB device with yellow triangle an exclaimation mark.

If there is one, then that is your first problem ....

• First try, is disconnect USB, then right click on the offending USB icon, and "Uninstall device".
  • Then reconnect USB ... it usually spots it being plugged in ... if not "Action -> Scan for hardware changes"
  • If you are lucky it will find the right driver ... and the device will become USB serial with COM x, and "no triangle of doom".
  • If it doesn't find driver, or triangle reappeasrs you are Googling for the right driver ... and largely repeating the above, albeit choosing the driver manually.

However, if there is a USB device .. typically mentioning the appropriate chip (CP2102 or maybe a very close relative), and NO yellow triangle, the problem is probably elsewhere or more obscure.

Good luck .. Dave

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@djc6159 Sorry, something does not make sense. How is the board putting out a WiFi signal if you can't upload the sketch to it? There are several chips that interface USB to Serial, so no, not significant.

I don't understand how you will 'try switching COM ports', the IDE chooses not you, so that sounds like a problem.

ReplyQuote
(@djc6159)
Topic starter  

@davee Hi DaveE, many thanks, no problem apparent in device manager, CP2102 drivers seem to be installed correctly.

ReplyQuote
(@djc6159)
Topic starter  

@zander it's a bit of mystery! Yes, the device is putting out a WiFi station address, seen on other devices.
Tried resets on the ESP32 & numerous configurations but no joy yet. Going to go & have a lie down!

thanks for your help & suggestions, very much appreciated.

Cheers, David.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@djc6159 If the device is putting out a WiFi signal (how do you know that?) then you must have previously uploaded a WiFi sketch unless they are shipping them now with the radios turned on.

ReplyQuote