Notifications
Clear all

ESP32 Bluetooth Audio from PS4 Controller headset

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@kevbo360)
Topic starter  

Hello - New Subscriber here...  Excited to join the community and starting off with a banger of a question!

I'm working on a project (3D printed rover with a water cannon.. just for fun/learning) using an ESP32 and controlling it with a PS4 controller using a library I found on github.  The library doesn't appear to include anything for audio using the controller.  I'm not sure if it needs to, as I don't' know much yet about Bluetooth audio with the esp32.  My goal is to put a small speaker / mic on the rover and to be able to talk through it using a headset plugged into the PS4 controller.  The controller is fully connected to the esp32 and works great - but how would I pass the audio from a headset on PS4 controller through a speaker on the rover... and then back the other way?  I have some FPV cameras from my drone collection... so my hope is to be able to control this thing remotely (I know Bluetooth range isn't anything to brag about... but I'm just experimenting and enjoying the process.)

Any help, suggestions, resources or direction will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

Posted by: @kevbo360

Hello - New Subscriber here...  Excited to join the community and starting off with a banger of a question!

I'm working on a project (3D printed rover with a water cannon.. just for fun/learning) using an ESP32 and controlling it with a PS4 controller using a library I found on github.  The library doesn't appear to include anything for audio using the controller.  I'm not sure if it needs to, as I don't' know much yet about Bluetooth audio with the esp32.  My goal is to put a small speaker / mic on the rover and to be able to talk through it using a headset plugged into the PS4 controller.  The controller is fully connected to the esp32 and works great - but how would I pass the audio from a headset on PS4 controller through a speaker on the rover... and then back the other way?  I have some FPV cameras from my drone collection... so my hope is to be able to control this thing remotely (I know Bluetooth range isn't anything to brag about... but I'm just experimenting and enjoying the process.)

Any help, suggestions, resources or direction will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I would start by searching the companion Youtube videos to see if there are any related videos/blogs.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @kevbo360,

I know diddly-squat about PS4 controllers, and almost twice as much about Bluetooth audio .... but I am guessing you have exhausted Google on this specific subject and looking for a last straw to cling onto ...

So with a warning this straw is old, wet and slimy ....

-----------

From a few seconds searching, I note ESP32 bluetooth audio in the wider context does have some coverage ... e.g.

https://github.com/pschatzmann/ESP32-A2DP

that purports to be "Simple Arduino Bluetooth Music Receiver and Sender for the ESP32"

There are probably more references ... I'll leave you to find them....

So I would be tempted to look at this, and any other references that might be relevant to see how Bluetooth audio can work as a first 'get acquainted' step.

----------

Of course, there are many 'audio standards', and Microsoft  have almost unlimited budget to create something unique, so PS4 might have done something completely different, but it seems possible and maybe probable to me, that it will be based something that is available, at least semi-documented and  preferably not subject to patent, unless Microsoft owns the patent.

So having figured out at least one audio over Bluetooth protocol, I would look for a way of trying to 'see' what the PS4 is sending out. Hopefully, the combination of your Bluetooth and your existing PS4 connectivity will suggest a way through.

-------------

After that, the only thing I can do at the moment is wish you luck ...

Of course, the odds of you succeeding might be low or high ... I can't measure them ... but I think it sounds a great challenge and I would be very disappointed if you put in a chunk of effort without a good reward, even if it is not the one you were aiming for.

Best wishes, Dave

ReplyQuote