Diptrace

7 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
tiomev
(@tiomev)
Topic starter  

Greetings, 

New member here. I want to have circuit boards made commercially. So I downloaded Diptrace Lite. Unfortunately, I can’t find the ESP8226 in the Diptrace library. Is it in there? If so, where? If not are there any facsimiles or alternatives?

Thanks 

MarkV

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

I don't know what Diptrace Lite is, but I do know there are many brands of ESP8266 and some have more pins than others plus the pins may even be in different locations. If that is relevant you will need to specify the specific ESP8266 you want to use.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @tiomev,

To amplify Ron's (@zander)'s wise words, the ESP8266 itself is a small 5 mm x 5 mm device ... e.g. see https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Espressif-Systems/ESP8266EX

However, it is widely available as modules, often also just labelled ESP8266, which have accompanying chips, connection pins, etc. to make it easier to use, These are typically on small PCBs with external connections on 0.1 inch/2.54 mm pitch. A quick Google will show there are lots of variations on these boards, although 'influential' companies like Adafruit will often be closely cloned.

I haven't seen Diptrace mentioned before ... the more common PCB packages will be supported at the 'bare chip' level for the common PCB packages, but I am more doubtful regarding the PCB board modules.

If you are referring to the 'bare chip', the reference web page above includes a link to download PCB support  ... I don't know if any of the supplied versions would also be suitable for Diptrace.

However, if you are thinking about one of the PCB modules, I suspect you will need to create your own.

Good luck with your project. Dave

ReplyQuote
tiomev
(@tiomev)
Topic starter  

Great. I don’t even know what I’ve got. Here’s a link. I’m sure you’ve sumised, Diptrace is software that lets you design printed circuit boards and send the design to a supplier to build the board for you. But Diptrace needs to know what to put on the board. I can’t find the item inthe link in the Diptrace library. I was hoping someone could tell me where and what to look for in the library.  
Thanks for any help.
MarkV

http://www.hiletgo.com/ProductDetail/1906570.html

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@tiomev

Posted by: @tiomev

Great. I don’t even know what I’ve got. Here’s a link. I’m sure you’ve sumised, Diptrace is software that lets you design printed circuit boards and send the design to a supplier to build the board for you. But Diptrace needs to know what to put on the board. I can’t find the item inthe link in the Diptrace library. I was hoping someone could tell me where and what to look for in the library.  
Thanks for any help.
MarkV

http://www.hiletgo.com/ProductDetail/1906570.html

This doesn't answer your question directly, but many people here use the free "kicad" software for such tasks, and apparently it does a great job.

It may (or may not), have the component(s) you require, but you can add them and might just find it to be a good tool in any case - Sparkfun has a great tutorial, and there are many others too, and there are a few members here who can assist you with any issues.

kicad

Good luck with your project.

DaveE reacted
ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @tiomev,

The 'hiletgo' link you supplied is one of many 'similar-ish' PCB modules with the ESP8266 itself and support chips, hidden under the rectangular metal lid with 'WiFi' etc written on it on the 'upper' level board, which is soldered to the lower level board with more support chips for USB connection, etc.

As @frogandtoad wisely says above, unless you have a particular reason to use Diptrace, picking a 'mainstream' PCB design system that is recognised by PCB manufacturers is a good idea, and Kicad is probably the strongest contender of the free ones.

I would add, that if I was contemplating a project with a module like the one you describe, I would prototype it using the plug-in breadboards that feature in most of Bill's excellent videos (there is a picture of one in action in the header of this forum page), and get the circuit working, before committing to a PCB design. You could use Kicad (or your preferred alternate) to document the schematic as you develop the breadboard version, and then use the schematic as the basis of your  PCB layout, when you have proven the design.

You might find someone has contributed a PCB footprint for the ESP8266 module that is the same ... or at least close enough to modify, for the module you have chosen, but in any event, it should be fairly easy to create your own from scratch.

Best wishes and good luck. Dave

frogandtoad reacted
ReplyQuote
tiomev
(@tiomev)
Topic starter  

@frogandtoad @davee

Thanks. I’ll give Kicad a look. I tried other pcb software and found them inscrutable. Diptrace was the least painful to perform beginner tasks. I’ve invested time in it now. Unless Kicad has my component in its library I’ll stick with Diptrace. 

Also I’ve completed the prototype phase on a breadboard. It’s just a simple led chaser but I want to complete the exercise by purchasing a production unit from a supplier.

Not being an EE I’m sure the components are mismatched. Regardless, I want Laser bright leds. The chaser circuit drives 12V relays. Other than getting the correct resistor how can I maximize led intensity with 12V? 

Thanks for any help

MarkV

frogandtoad reacted
ReplyQuote