Notifications
Clear all

compiling error ESP-32 camera

9 Posts
5 Users
6 Likes
(@mrclassicman)
Topic starter  

I have an issue that the example will not compile in my system. I am using Windows 10, Arduino and have tried all of the choices under the Boards manager and examples. A1 Thinker and Wrover both come up with the same error "Error compiling for board ###### ESP-32 CAM. some of the other parameters I have selected are Frequency-80mhz, upload speed-921600. If I were able to get to the point of uploading I am using FTDI adapter hooked up exactly as described in the project video. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

codecage
(@codecage)
Member Admin

@mrclassicman

What example are you trying to compile that gives an error?  What board do you have selected?

SteveG

ReplyQuote
(@mrclassicman)
Topic starter  

Hi Steve, I'm back again with a new toy! It is an ESP=32 camera module, ?like A1 Thinker. I am using the example code Web server. At this point the issue is compiling the code on my computer. It does not even get to the point of uploading to the FTDI - ESP-32 camera. So, I am missing something in the sketch area. I modify the code to include my password and network name and have tried commenting out all but one of the camera types, each time.  I then compile. I have gone to the Expressif site (makers of the ESP-32) and done their quick start, and I have done the Drone bot work shop method as well. Neither make it through a complete compile. Again, as board types the two that show up are the Wrover and the a1thinker, I have tried both of these. I could email you pictures if you think that would help. Hope all is well with you and family!

Terry

P.S. Good to hear from you too!

ReplyQuote
(@mrclassicman)
Topic starter  

The solution turned out to be a laptop issue. I redid everything on a much newer laptop. Now after a few false starts have a working web cam. Now all I have to do is figure what to do with it! lol. 

ReplyQuote
(@mrclassicman)
Topic starter  

If you have problems loading the program to the ESP32-cam forget the VCC from the FTDI board and supply 5 volts directly to the 5V pin and the ground of that supply to the ground pin next to 5V pin. Now the FTDI board will just have the Rx, TX, and ground connections going to the ESP32. You will also need to connect the power supply ground to the FTDI ground pin. So now the FTDI board will have two ground connections to it. You will still need the jumper IO0 to ground to load the program to the ESP32. I used a regulated 5volt, 1.5amp, power supply directly to the ESP32. DO NOT connect the VCC terminal from the FTDI board the ESP32 as it is no longer needed. Once I completed this set up, I was able to program all of my cameras in just a few minutes without any hitch. With a piece of tape, I marked each camera with the IP address for future reference. I hope this helps anyone who has not been able to get theirs working!

Terry

Inst-Tech reacted
ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@mrclassicman 

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

Inst-Tech reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)

For reference, I just used this resource to program an ESP32-CAM using my FTDI programmer:

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp32-cam-pir-motion-detector-photo-capture/

One thing to note is that you apparently need to connect GPIO0 (GOIO Zero) to the GND pin on the ESP32-CAM before uploading. When you're finished uploading to the ESP32-CAM, disconnect this cable from one of the pins (GPIO0 or GND, doesn't matter) and hit reset. It should reboot the module.

I also had to disable brownout detection, otherwise the module would constantly reboot while I tried to test it. I added these includes at the start of the sketch:

#include "soc/soc.h"
#include "soc/rtc_cntl_reg.h"

And I added this at the start of the setup function:

WRITE_PERI_REG(RTC_CNTL_BROWN_OUT_REG, 0); //disable brownout detector

Inst-Tech reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@yurkshirelad It sounds like you missed the advice of @mrclassicman . Supply a proper 5V and leave brownout detection alone.

I have Rui's courses too, did he have an error so you had to add the 2 includes? If so report it to him so he can publish a fixed version.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
(@yurkshirelad)

I know about using a proper 5V supply. I was having trouble accessing the stream when it was connected to my bench power supply. It was a hack to let me use the serial monitor while connected to the programmer to double check its IP. I should have clarified that.

ReplyQuote