Clear all

[Solved] Code 10 Error with ESP32

23 Posts
5 Users
5 Likes
MadMisha
(@madmisha)
Topic starter  

I have a fairly new laptop and I finally needed to program from it. It is an MSI Pulse GL66, if that helps. I did not just go straight into VSC, I just installed the Arduino IDE and the ESP boards. My problem is when I plug in the ESP, Windows 10(device manager) states that it has a problem and is giving me a code 10 "Device will not start" message.

My troubleshooting so far:

• Swapped cables, same issue.
  • Swapped ESP32s, same.
  • Programmed the same ESP32s with the same cable from my desktop, no problem.
  • Reinstalled the CP210x Drivers (I tried both the universal Windows driver and the one labeled Windows drivers), and the FTDI virtual com port driver (not the chip I have but I tried anyways), no luck. Initially it stated that windows determined that the best driver is installed.
  • Uninstalled and tried installing the x64 .exe that one of them had, uninstall again and tried right clicking the silabser.inf file and clicked install (I did this with both drivers). Same problem.
  • Tried reaching it through PuTTY (Com3, Baud = 115200, data bit = 8, stop bits = 1, parity = none), it couldn't be reached.

I am out of ideas. Any suggestions?

I should also mention that at first I was restarting the IDE between each try. I also restarted the computer a few times (I did a real restart, not shutdown. I know it makes a difference!)

Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

Something doesn't make sense, you said they are ESP32 boards but then you mention FTDI. ALL my ESP32 boards have USB connectors. I am confused.

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
MadMisha
(@madmisha)
Topic starter  

@zander 

Different manufacturers use different chips. ESP32Cams seem to come with the FTDI chip instead. I do in fact have the CP210x but I was desperate and tried everything I could think of. Also, I will need it eventually so no harm in installing it. It does actually show up correctly as Silicon Labs in device manager.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmisha Yes, I forgot about the ESP32CAM, I have been using the version with the MB so forgot. Can you go through your steps in detail, starting with the blink sketch and exactly what happens after you press the Upload button. BTW, IDE 1? not 2.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmisha A few of these will make life simpler.

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/upload-code-esp32-cam-mb-usb/

ReplyQuote
MadMisha
(@madmisha)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @zander

@madmisha Yes, I forgot about the ESP32CAM, I have been using the version with the MB so forgot. Can you go through your steps in detail, starting with the blink sketch and exactly what happens after you press the Upload button. BTW, IDE 1? not 2.

It does not get that far. The com port is not showing up in the IDE because windows is throwing the error and is putting it into a different category. Until windows finds it happy, it will not pass it to the program for use.

I also forgot that I initially just let window handle it and did not install the driver myself. Then I went into device manager hand used the update driver dialog and updated windows. Then I started with the downloaded ones through the dialog. It gave me the windows thinks the best one is installed. I uninstalled then retried the 2. Then I moved to the manual installation after that.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmisha Ok, classic windows nonsense. Could be a million things. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
MadMisha
(@madmisha)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @zander

@madmisha A few of these will make life simpler.

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/upload-code-esp32-cam-mb-usb/

Ok, I will get that the next time I work with those. Although, I would just prefer to buy a new one that has it built in. It's not like the size difference would affect anything. I haven't seen one yet though.

But to be clear, the one I am having problems with is my ESP32 DEVKIT V1 DOIT.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmisha I bought 10 of them, they come as a unit, esp32cam and the MB board. I paid $71.49CDN at AliExpress for 10, that's about $55.46USD.

Amazon has lots, search 'esp32cam-mb' more expensive but they come faster.

MadMisha reacted
ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmisha I have one of those in my hand, and it has the USB connector.

IMG 7083

ReplyQuote
MadMisha
(@madmisha)
Topic starter  

@zander Yes, that is what I have. The FTDI install was just out of desperation and for future projects. It has the CP210X USB to UART bridge. That is why all the rest of my troubleshooting involved the VCP driver.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmisha Ok, I don't think I can help, I drive a Mac with Virtual Win11 and Linux on the back burner. I did use windows for about 36 years and don't miss that drama. I do remember device manager issues could be thorny, it seems simple enough to just delete a bad part, but at least in my experience that didn't always work. Maybe try going back to the last checkpoint (not sure if that's the name, but it's the Win equivalent of Mac Time machine, backs up 1/hr)

ReplyQuote
(@davee)

Hi @madmisha,

Sorry, I haven't tried the particular board you have, so this is only a few suggestions about USB connections in general .. I have had issues with USB chips, albeit mainly with Ubuntu Linux  PC host, so I have not seen this error.

Note, the suggestions are in the order I found or thought of them ... probably not the best for systematic debugging .. so have a glance through and follow up any of interest.

-----

(With Linux you can sometimes see in the log that a USB starts to connect, then backs off due to an error .. in my case, because a manufacturer has apparently 'broken the rules' and picked the same ID as another manufacturer... and Ubuntu Linux has a 'preinstalled list' of devices it knows about, which has to be manually edited if there is a clash. I don't know if there is a corresponding situation with Windows.)

----------

A long shot, but a chase around the Silicon Labs website might give a clue ...

e.g. https://community.silabs.com/s/article/troubleshooting-a-product-using-a-cp210x-usb-to-uart-bridge?language=en_US

discusses a diagnostic program. (Sorry, I haven't used it.)

Also https://community.silabs.com/s/article/cp210x-troubleshooting-techniques?language=en_US

and https://community.silabs.com/s/question/0D51M00007xePqUSAU/cp210x-usb-to-uart-bridge-driver-10172399-not-working-on-windows-10-home-v1809?language=en_US

and this one seems to be saying Silicon Labs themselves have had issues with Windows updates in the past ... what chance have the rest us of got? 😀 

https://community.silabs.com/s/question/0D51M00007xePOgSAM/toolstick-no-longer-working-after-windows-update-kb4487017?language=en_US

I guess you have seen, but just in case, the Silicon Labs 'download central' is at:

https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

---------

Also, maybe try a powered USB hub, just in case your laptop isn't providing enough current ... though I would have expected that to be more of an issue when the ESP starts WiFi transmissions ... not when just booting the board. Also, if you have more than 1 port on your PC, try the others.

If you have a second PC, maybe try that.

And a 'dodgy/poor' USB cable is always possible .. some use very thin wires for the power, so only some of the 5V actually arrive at the board, when the board takes a fair current. Try checking for a full 5V at the input to the card from the USB socket; if its noticeably under 5V, you have a problem, but bear in mind that even if you see 5V, this may still drop with peak demands, but not be visible on your meter.

-----------------

I assume the ESP board is only connected via the USB ... ie you haven't yet connected it to your project .. just in case there is a wiring issue.

--------

Sorry it is all vague and speculative.

Good luck in your search, Dave

ReplyQuote
ron bentley
(@ronbentley1)

@madmisha 

Hi,

I was going to suggest trying another USB port but @davee has beaten me to the suggestion! I also have the same set up as you: ESP32 DEVKIT V1 DOIT.  This works well.

But, I did have early issues with similar USB connectivity problems and, for some reason, my ESP 32 only seems to work on one port (USB 3.0).  Because I finally got it working okay I didn't explore further.

Ron B

Ron Bentley
Creativity is an input to innovation and change is the output from innovation. Braden Kelley
A computer is a machine for constructing mappings from input to output. Michael Kirby
Through great input you get great output. RZA
Gauss is great but Euler rocks!!

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)

@madmisha I just wanted to add that while 99% of the time everything works as hoped, but occasionally even my modern Mac with USB 4 ports would mysteriously stop working. I would try re-selecting, remove and re-insert the cable but in rare cases stopping the IDE and starting again from the beginning was the only solution.

In your case it sounds like you have been thorough, so I would suggest trying a different PC if you possibly can. If that 'fixes' it, then that would strongly suggest the original PC is the culprit.

I am assuming you also tried a high quality powered hub and that also failed.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2