33 Posts
6 Users
15 Likes
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@yurkshirelad

Posted by: @yurkshirelad
Posted by: @inq

One thing that caught my eye was the zero in your address.  I had never seen someone actually use this...

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14915188/ip-address-ending-with-zero#:~:text=An%20IP%20address%20ending%20in,addressing%20scheme%2C%20IPs%20from%20192.0.

Do yourself a favor and change you router's DHCP address range... to something normal like 1 or 4 or anything else besides 0.

I got 133 million hits from "ip addresses with zero in it"... none of them good!

No, don't do that. That's quite normal. The modem from my ISP has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 and anything that connects to it is 192.168.0.xxx.

Absolutely 100% normal!

Almost all (if not all) routers provide (by default) this particular IP address in how to reference the home (admin) page of the router itself - This is not a problem at all, however, some people prefer to change this address, to combat spamming and hacking type events, specifically if running a home based web server that is exposed directly to the internet!

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie

@frogandtoad 

Almost all (if not all) routers provide (by default) this particular IP address in how to reference the home (admin) page of the router itself - This is not a problem at all, however, some people prefer to change this address, to combat spamming and hacking type events, specifically if running a home based web server that is exposed directly to the internet!

Cheers

I have never seen a router that didn't have that as the default and that includes every telecom provider in Canada. 

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
frogandtoad
(@frogandtoad)

@zander @frogandtoad 

Posted by: @zander

@frogandtoad 

Cheers

I have never seen a router that didn't have that as the default and that includes every telecom provider in Canada. 

🙂

In networking, there are basically 3 classes of IP address ranges, Class A, Class B and Class C.

The 192.168.0.* basically falls into the class C address range, typically used for home private network addresses, and usually distributed via a home based router with a built in DHCP server to distribute those  addresses within the specified range of the router settings you provide.

The router itself, it almost always set to 192.168.0.1 for convenience and ease of remembrance to access its admin page.  As noted earlier however, it is a good policy to change this default IP address to enhance your security, though, most people just leave it alone.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3