Notifications
Clear all

38-pin ESP32 Development Board - my experience

TheOldBrick
(@theoldbrick)
Topic starter  

The ESP32 board arrived that I ordered here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001381907493.html

1. Each pin clearly labelled on top of the board.  That's the main reason that I ordered this particular board.  If I plan to work with the ESP32 board in a breadboard, pin labels on the bottom of the board, which occur in many ESP32 boards, are useless.

2. Unfortunately...

WARNING! My 38-pin ESP32 board does not fit properly into a breadboard. It is too wide, leaving only one row of empty holes. 😒  Of course, the seller made no mention of this fact.

By contrast, the ESP32 board that Bill uses in

, for example, leaves two rows of empty holes.

Possible solution #1: Buy a 3220 breadboard and straddle the ESP32 board over a set of power rails (I didn't test, but this comment suggests it works).

Possible solution #2: Do not put the ESP32 board in a breadboard. Instead, as necessary, use male-female Dupont jumper wires to connect individual pins from the ESP32 board to a breadboard (my less-than-desirable approach).

3. This board works very well with Arduino IDE (1.8.16).

4. Yes, must hold "BOOT" button while uploading a program to the 38-pin ESP32 board. Given that the permanent fix is so simple (see https://randomnerdtutorials.com/solved-failed-to-connect-to-esp32-timed-out-waiting-for-packet-header/), I wonder why the board's designers haven't incorporated it.

=====

Overall, I do not recommend this particular 38-pin ESP32 board given it does not fit properly into a breadboard.

This topic was modified 1 month ago by TheOldBrick

Will
 Will
(@will)
Honorable Member

@theoldbrick

jBo reported a similar problem (using two breadboards) and I suggested the following ...

Try tracing out the breadboard assembly onto a piece of cardboard, cut the cardboard to size and then hot-glue the pair of breadboards to the cardboard. I've done that to hold the breadboard and associated parts like stepper, power supplies and so on into the bottom of a box (cut down to about 2" high) to hold parts for a project steady enough to stop jiggling on the wires.

It works pretty well, but don't peel the breadboards first. If you leave the covering on the base, it's a lot easier to bend the cardboard off them when you want to re-use them for something else later. The hot glue peels off quite well.

ReplyQuote