29 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Father of a miniature Wookie
Topic starter  

I want to use one of these MOSFETS but can't find the Si4599. I understand the AO4606 is a drop in replacement but it looks like it's one of those tiny surface mount devices. Anyone have experience with these devices? And if I want to mount an SMD on a standard 2.54mm board, how do you solder it if the pins don't go through? 

First computer 1959. Retired from my own computer company 2004.
Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

byron
(@byron)
No Title

@zander  Those of us of advancing age haven't go a hope of soldering those piddly little things, you need to get a board that has them already mounted.  Heres a link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33010369472.html

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

Posted by: @zander

I want to use one of these MOSFETS but can't find the Si4599. I understand the AO4606 is a drop in replacement but it looks like it's one of those tiny surface mount devices. Anyone have experience with these devices? And if I want to mount an SMD on a standard 2.54mm board, how do you solder it if the pins don't go through? 

How about

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33010369472.html

if you're not in a rush.

Or

google Amazon for "smd to dip soic-8" if you'd like to do it yourself (a lot faster).

Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're talking about.

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

@will  - beat you by 2 seconds, your getting a bit slow these days 😀 

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@byron 

Oh, so that's the way it is, eh 🙂

Well, I gave him TWO sources and one of them can deliver by Wednesday ! Yours will take weeks 🙂

Mind you, he WILL have to do his own soldering with the conversion chips 🙂

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Topic starter  

@byron Thanks, that's what I was looking for but my search only returned one hit showing no longer available. Order going in now.

Hardware - Expert in 1401, and 360, fairly knowledge in PC plus numerous MPU's and MCU's
Major Languages - Machine language, 360 Macro Assembler, Intel Assembler, PL/I and PL1, Pascal, Basic, C plus numerous job control and scripting languages.
Sure you can learn to be a programmer, it will take the same amount of time for me to learn to be a Doctor.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Topic starter  

@will I ordered them from AliExpress (3rd order today). My project will just have to wait.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Topic starter  

@byron That's a istake, he does bite you know 😀 

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Topic starter  

@will Nope, no soldering, I will wait. My air gun is dead, one of these days I might have to figure out what is wrong.

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@zander Not to worry, I just sent my teeth out for cleaning and re-filing 🙂

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@zander 

You can still solder with an iron, especially if you're only doing SMDs with legs that stick out from the body.

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Topic starter  

@will You must be getting mellow, no spares?

ReplyQuote
Ron
 Ron
(@zander)
Topic starter  

@will Too late. Besides, my board room is limited and they would occupy more space. I can put this project on hold and do something else in the meanwhile.

ReplyQuote
byron
(@byron)
No Title

Posted by: @zander

@byron That's a istake, he does bite you know 😀 

Posted by: @will

Not to worry, I just sent my teeth out for cleaning and re-filing 🙂

Looks like will has gummed your 'm' , wot a nibbler

ReplyQuote
Will
 Will
(@will)

@zander 

Alas, the spares were stolen by ivory hunters after I was overmedicated by a poison dart 🙂

Ron reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2