Clear all

Intel 8265 Wifi chip for Jetson Nano

12 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Spyder
(@spyder)
Topic starter  

I bought one of these for my Jetson and installed it, and it seems to be working fine so far. I took the easy way out, and when I ran my cat5 upstairs, I only ran the one, and since I had just replaced my router, I used that as an access point/switch, which means that the wifi signal only has to go about 5 feet

Now, when I ordered it, I also ordered the antennas for it. One for wifi, and one for bluetooth. The plug is only about 1.5 millimeters, so, plugging it in is not gonna be fun

The thing is, I also picked up an esp32cam, which looked really cool, so I bought it. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with it, but, I have it. I'll get to that later. Anyway, when I was about to connect the antenna that came with the esp32, I read that you have to desolder a resistor the size of a grain of sand due to the fact that it was made for the exact size antenna that's built onto the card. (I used to use CB radio, and I've played with RFID, so I understand the whole frequency/wavelength to antenna matching theory)

I got the intel card weeks ago, but the antennas didn't come til today

So the question is, for this intel card, do I have to make any physical/electrical changes to the card in before I connect the antennas ?

(@dronebot-workshop)
Workshop Guru Admin

Those tiny antenna connectors do look like a nightmare! 

The Intel Integration Guide (if you can call it a "guide", it's a bunch of pictures) just shows the antennas being connected to the module, doesn't seem to indicate yo do anything else to the card. But then the "guide" is for mounting the product in a PC.

I need to order a couple of these myself, did you get the actual Intel product or a "clone" that uses the Intel 8265 module? I have two Jetson Nano's so I need a couple of these, and the "generic" ones are much cheaper, especially on eBay.  But if they don't work as well then they are of limited value.

I'll be interested to hear how these work out for you.

Bill

"Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window." — Steve Wozniak

ReplyQuote
soumitra
(@soumitra)

Sir intel AC8265 i got but antenna is still not shipped and today i get a message shipment is lost !!! From amazon !!

If i do not install an antenna will it work on atleast for using wifi near a router?

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)
Topic starter  

@dronebot-workshop

I got mine from Amazon, and it was $23 (not cheap) and it says "Intel (R) 8265NGW" on it, but it also says "Made In China", which doesn't always mean anything I guess, cuz Intel probably outsourced stuff (until recently anyway)

It worked perfectly right out of the box, but then, like I said, the signal doesn't have to go that far right now...

Hmm...

Okay, I just ran this command on the jetbot

iwconfig wlan0 | grep -i --color quality

And got this output...

Link Quality=36/70 Signal level=-74 dBm

Then I unplugged the upstairs AP and ran that command again, and got this...

Link Quality=24/70 Signal level=-86 dBm

Which seems wierd cuz link quality went down, which would be expected, but, dBm went UP

Anyway, I think it works well, but, I don't have a known Chinese knock-off to compare it to, unless it IS a Chinese knock-off, in which case, it still works well

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sdey76

Sir intel AC8265 i got but antenna is still not shipped and today i get a message shipment is lost !!! From amazon !!

If i do not install an antenna will it work on at least for using wifi near a router?

Yup (see my previous post with actual data)

soumitra reacted
ReplyQuote
soumitra
(@soumitra)

@spyder

Thanks  a lot, great data on this. Will plug it in next weekend! 

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)
Topic starter  

Okay, I read that wrong. dBm is written in negative numbers, so it went down, but not by much

ReplyQuote
soumitra
(@soumitra)

@spyder

Finally the antenna arrived !!?

20190730 231117

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)
Topic starter  

@sdey76

Yea okay... I guess it's time to temporarily shut the thing down and attempt to connect these tiny little itty bitty teeny weeny antenna wires

Not a chore I'm looking forward to

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)
Topic starter  

WOW !

That made a difference

Link Quality=52/70 Signal level=-58 dBm

Obviously I didn't break anything while connecting these wires with a microscope and pliers

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)
Topic starter  

I figured while I had the thing off I might as well install this really expensive Noctua fan that I bought a couple weeks ago to replace the $1.50 fan I'd been using. 

So I installed that

Upside down

Then I thought about it for a minute and realized that that probably wouldn't have the desired effect, so I turned it over

Yaknow, this thing didn't come with a grate ?

A 6 inch x 8 inch box for a 40mm fan, and they didn't have room for a 1.5 inch square piece of screen ?

I guess I'll have to print one

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)
Topic starter  

So I printed a grate. It's not a great grate. Not even really functional as there's too many holes for dust to pass thru, which is the reason to have one in the first place

Maybe I'll work on a spiderweb design

I made it out of carbon fiber cuz, well, honestly, that's what was already loaded in the printer and I was too lazy to change it. Besides, the cf prints detail SOO nice. It's a little finicky to work with, but, it's also good with heat, and I figured that this might get a little warm, so...

jetfansml

ReplyQuote