Clear all

Cheating the PCA9685 and MD10C ?

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Spyder
(@spyder)
Topic starter  

I've wondered about this for a while now. I was thinking that, since the jetbot mostly works, why can't I just cheat the thing to make it run the DB1, or, in my case, my robotic tool box

Here's the plan... Use the existing, and functioning software in the Jetbot, with the motor controller that it's currently using (which is actually an Adafruit Featherwing thing, and not a PCA9685) to drive the MD10C instead of trying to figure out how to make Jetbot work with the Featherwing ?

I was almost going to write off this idea as stupid, but, then I remembered that since I have no idea what I'm doing, I don't know that it's impossible to do

The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer

So, here's a link to a guy who linked a PCA9685 to a L298N, and made it work. The code is on his github page, and it looks like he's basically ignoring the L298N, and just driving the 298 with the 9685

https://custom-build-robots.com/electronic/instruction-l298n-h-bridge-is-controlled-by-a-pca9685-servo-controller/8809?lang=en

So, does this look possible for a different set of hardware that is basically doing the same thing but with other things ?

My logic is... why does the MD10C care where it gets its signals from ?

Duce robot reacted
triform
(@triform)

The only caveat I see is the L298 is PWM'ed on different pins based on the direction you want and the MD10C has a dedicated direction pin that's a logic high or low.  Now that's not to say it still could not be done with some extra "glue".  

Now since the MD10C is a single-channel driver, you could just hook the PCA9685 output PWM to its PWM and then from the controller, use a GPIO to control the DIR pin. 

Methinks it's a good idea!

Scott

ReplyQuote
Spyder
(@spyder)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @triform

Methinks it's a good idea!

Great !

Posted by: @triform

The only caveat I see is the L298 is PWM'ed on different pins based on the direction you want and the MD10C has a dedicated direction pin that's a logic high or low. 

That's actually a pretty big caveat, cuz it still means reprogramming ROS to add a separate GPIO output, and that's chapter 11, and I'm only up to chapter 7

ReplyQuote